Clutch problems

manofdestiny2

So I was driving home yesterday and out of the blue, the clutch pedal stopped working all together. It just goes straight to the floor without providing any resistance at all. The clutch hadn't been giving me any trouble before.

Quick look under the car doesn't reveal anything, but I've never done any clutch work before. I suspect the linkage broke since the problem occurred so quickly.

Has anyone had a similar problem? I need to try to fix it tonight...

Thanks!
Dave

Can you get into gear?

Sound like the slave or master sprung a leak, Did you see any fluid on the ground, is the reservoir empty?

If all the above checks out, the clutch disc could have broken apart and leaving the clutch partially activated, and causing a dead pedal.

I cannot get into gear. To get it home I shut it down, stuck it in 1st, and then had my wife give me a nudge with the truck and drove it home in 1st gear. No fluid anywhere.

The clutch had been slipping, but only very rarely. It had also been sticking a little, so shifting out of 1st or 2nd resulted in a sharp clunk when it released the gear... but I could avoid that by pressing the clutch all the way to the floor before I started the gear change.

I cannot get into gear. To get it home I shut it down, stuck it in 1st, and then had my wife give me a nudge with the truck and drove it home in 1st gear. No fluid anywhere.

The clutch had been slipping, but only very rarely. It had also been sticking a little, so shifting out of 1st or 2nd resulted in a sharp clunk when it released the gear... but I could avoid that by pressing the clutch all the way to the floor before I started the gear change.

Something is wrong with the clutch then. Need to take down the trans regardless.

Back