EGR valve and Catalytic Converters

dsecker

My problem is that I failed the emissions test for both CO and Nox. The CO level was one hundredth over the limit, so I'm not concerned about it. The NOx levels unfortunetaly where well over twice the limit. I was told the other day (on this board) that it could possibly be something faulty with the EGR system.
I jacked my car up today to change the oil as well as to look at the exhaust. I was under the impression that mine would similar to the one on supercoupeperformance.com in the comparasion photos. My exhaust however only have 2 cats and not 3. And as far as I can tell, they are only 2 way. I looked all around the intake and I didn't see any metal pipes that looked like they'd be for EGR. So do I not have an EGR system in my car? And if thats the case, can anyone tell me what else would cause such huge NOx levels?
I have intentions of replacing the cats already as they seem quite a bit louder than they should be. Almost sounds like an exhaust leak, although I'm positive its not.
Thanks for any help or info!
:D :D

EGR valve

If you have an AOD trany, then you may not have an EGR. You should look at the O2 sensors because they are only good for about 80,000 miles. If they are bad, it will cause you to fail the emmissons test. If you bang the cats with a rubber mallet and you don't hear anything rattling inside then they are probably ok. If it runs and idles good, I would look at the O2 sensors. good luck

Back