So looks like the Boss is a baddas track car.

ricardoa1

This is a discussion I copy pasted from another forum author, to bring the discussion over here.

Had to do it, since the numbers are out for the Boss 302....

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/index.html

A quick run down, MT managed a 4.0 0-60 (actually a 3.97) but said there was more to be had. The 1/4 mile was a 12.3@115.8mph but again, there is more to be had. MT admitted that the adjustable shocks would take some time to work out the best times and the Boss took some time to get use to.

Lap times around Laguna Seca was 1:40.2 and 1:40.4...
Standing records at Laguna Seca
1. Dodge Viper SRT-10 ACR 1:33.92
138 mph

average
2. Devon GTX 1:35.08
136 mph

3. Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 1:35.80
135 mph

4. Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Carbon 1:37.40
133 mph

5. Porsche 997 Turbo facelift 1:37.80
133 mph

6. Porsche 997 GT3 1:39.52
130 mph

7. Porsche 997 Turbo 1:39.89
130 mph

8. Porsche 997 Turbo S 1:40.11
130 mph

9. Audi R8 V10 5.2 FSI 1:40.20
129 mph

10. Ford Mustang Boss 302 1:40.21
129 mph

11. Nissan GT-R 1:40.45
129 mph

12. Mercedes SLS AMG 1:40.74
129 mph

13. Audi R8 4.2 FSI quattro 1:40.75
129 mph

14. Chevrolet Corvette Z06 1:40.90
129 mph

15. BMW M3 (E92) 1:42.96
126 mph

16. Porsche Cayman S(facelift) PDK 1:43.00
126 mph

17. Porsche Cayman S 1:43.00
126 mph

18. Aston Martin V12 Vantage 1:43.04
126 mph

19. Cadillac CTS-V 1:43.90
125 mph

20. Shelby GT500 1:44.30
124 mph

21. Shelby GT500 1:44.72
124 mph

22. Shelby Mustang Cobra GT500KR 1:44.72
124 mph

23. Porsche 997 Carrera
1:45.00
123 mph

Looks like the GT500 is on its way out, the 5.4 will most likely go with it... The all forged 5.0 will take its place... I had my fingers crossed that Ford would use the Ford Racing catalog parts that Shelby used in the 2011 GT350 and it looks like I got my wish...

So.... Will the ZL1's 100+hp, 120+ft tq and MRC be enough to handle the Boss 302? Or will Ford have to bring out the Boss 302 LS? Will the GT500 step aside for the SVT Cobra to do battle with a FI forged 5.0? Will the Z28 arise to meet its life long nemesis?

This is just the Boss 302, not the Laguna Seca and next year Ford releases the 1970 edition as this is only the 69... Bring your thick skins because the Boss 302 just out paced the Z06... and according to MT
Quote:

Ricardo,

The Boss also outran the much more powerful Shelby GT350 in the 1/4 mile. 12.3 for the Boss vs 12.4 for the GT350 :confused: They were not in a direct comparison, the GT350 was actually being compared to the new Challenger SRT8 (392 cid), but they were in the same issue of Road & Track or was it Car & Driver.

David

Last edited:
I feel like that car is underrated. Impressive to me, I guess power is not everthing, or is it?

I wanna see what the Laguna Seca edition will do on the Laguna Seca track...

Side note...June 6th looks like I will be taking my SC on the Laguna Seca track with our local BMW club...it will be my first time on a track with turns :) so probably wont be able to max it out. should be a ton of fun though

I feel like that car is underrated. Impressive to me, I guess power is not everthing, or is it?

I know the Boss has a launch control system and a higher rev limit, and this was the Laguna Seca model being ran on the race calibration (red key). They were advertising something like 444 HP for the LS Boss vs 624 HP for the big dog version of the GT350. My first thought was that the GT350 was traction limited and I expected to see a much higher MPH in the 1/4 mile, but they were nearly identical.

I think the GT350 was either over rated (really the 550 HP version) or the track/weather conditions were much worse than when/where the Boss was tested.

David

I assume that what you are seeing here is further refinement of a tightly coupled system of components that done right allow the car to be better than the best of the past. If it manages to be both reliable and inexpensive to maintain, it will really be a shining star for Ford.

Nice cars:D If I won the lottery I would buy one. My question is with gas going up and up and up at what point does the market for these cars dry up enough to affect sales and these mega HP cars go the direction of the dinosaurs:rolleyes: Till than they are really something to dream of buying

Ken

What would be really interesting is to see the MSRP pricetag next to all those Laguna Seca record holders.. :D The Boss Mustang is somewhat cheap by comparision.
David Neibert said:
I'll bet the GT500 will end up with a direct injection, twin turbocharged version of the new 5.0 within the next couple years.
Actually, Fords' plans for the GT500 are to increase the 5.4L engine to 5.8L, and update the blower to a TVS. Rumour has it the new Mustang GT500 will be around 620HP! Gotta keep ahead of the soon-to-be-released Z|L1 Camaro with the Cadillac CTS-V 560 HP supercharged engine.

Ford has already stated that they will not pursue turbocharging the new 5.0 in the Mustangs at this time (because there's no room under the hood for one).

As for direct fuel injection... the main benefit of this technology is "charge-air cooling". The 5.0 Mustang engine already has "semi-direct injection", and for the time the intake valves are open, the injectors are spraying directly past the valves into the cylinders. Ford has stated they achieved a large portion of the charge-air cooling benefits without the extra costs associated with a direct-injection fuel system.
kenewagner said:
My question is with gas going up and up and up at what point does the market for these cars dry up enough to affect sales and these mega HP cars go the direction of the dinosaurs
Good point... however, I get better fuel economy with the new 5.0 than I ever did in my SC. I can easily achieve 8L/100kms (35 MPG) on the highway without trying. Better still, they are designed to run on regular 87-octane fuel! :)

I think the GT350 was either over rated (really the 550 HP version) or the track/weather conditions were much worse than when/where the Boss was tested.

David

The 625hp version GT350 kills the Boss. I've seen tests with it running almost a second quicker.

Nice cars:D If I won the lottery I would buy one. My question is with gas going up and up and up at what point does the market for these cars dry up enough to affect sales and these mega HP cars go the direction of the dinosaurs:rolleyes: Till than they are really something to dream of buying

Ken

I think that the price of gas could go to $10.00 per gallon and it would have no effect on these cars. Ford produces them in such small numbers they mostly wind up as garage queens anyhow.

I think that the price of gas could go to $10.00 per gallon and it would have no effect on these cars. Ford produces them in such small numbers they mostly wind up as garage queens anyhow.

You are right about the small numbers and where they will likely end up at but in today economy if it doesnt make a company money it gets shelved. Look at GM cutting out not just a few car models but entire lines of makes, Hummer, Pontiac. I doubt in the long run big HP cars are going to give a good return on investors investments. Just my 2 cents. While they are here they still are really something to covet;)

Ken

You are right about the small numbers and where they will likely end up at but in today economy if it doesnt make a company money it gets shelved. Look at GM cutting out not just a few car models but entire lines of makes, Hummer, Pontiac. I doubt in the long run big HP cars are going to give a good return on investors investments. Just my 2 cents. While they are here they still are really something to covet;)

Ken

I have always been of the opinion that Ford (especially) builds these cars to draw interest to the brand and to give a little love to the dealers. You have probably noticed that they are always subject to that "adjusted market value" which goes straight into the dealers coffers. As for the return on the investment, you may be right looking forward but I sure wish I still had the pair 69 Mach I's I sold some years ago! Watching Barrett-Jackson depresses the hell out of me.

My pipe dream is to show up at one of these test sessions with a heavily modded 3.8 SC and either outrun them or at least run with them, right in front of ol' Shel himself. :D

sure wish I still had the pair 69 Mach I's I sold some years ago! Watching Barrett-Jackson depresses the hell out of me.

Boy aint that the truth. These performance cars are incredible and I hope they keep kicking them out for years.

Ken

I always wanted a 69/70 Boss 302. I would probably have one now if it weren't for the fact that by the time I could think about affording one it was clear that the performance of the car would not exceed the performance of a properly modified, much newer car. I don't want one for the prestige of having one, I want one for the pure badassness of it. In other words, I would drive the car and race it.

Fast forward to 2012 - 30yrs later I'm looking at the new Boss and I'm thinking that I may find a way to get one some time in the next 10 years before they start to skyrocket in value. I can't afford one today, but I might be able to in 10 years. I'd be happy to retire with one in the garage.... ;)

Back