Electrical issue

1bad67cat

I just got my anny back on the road, after doing a hg job with head studs. everything seems to be working ok, except one thing. When I had the headlights on, if i step on the brake, everthing shuts off (except motor) for a second, and comes back on, even if I'm still on the pedal. Hitting the window switch just dims the lights. Sound like a voltage regulator problem?:confused:

ok. i think i have the issue figured out. the battery clamps didn't get tightened on either side. the positive was just sitting on top of the post.:eek: guess that's why you double check everything. at least it was a simple fix.:D Now I believe i need a good anti slosh module. my fuel gauge isn't accurate. it likes to read between 1/2 and full.:confused:

I swapped out the anti slosh module, and the fuel gauge still does the same thing, when the key is turned on, the needle moves to the left a little, then comes back to the right to full. Does this sound like the in tank sending unit? :confused:

Not knowing what year your SC is, I can't say for sure ... but in 1989-1993, the VMM was also on that line.

So before I pulled the fuel tank, I'd pull the VMM and see if that fixes the problem.

Also, you can swap the fuel gauge.

Of course, the OPTIMUM is to see what resistance you have from the float line to ground with the power off.

And to drain the tank completely and see if it changes.

(Could be you're full right now ... )

RwP

VMM is the Vehicle Maintenance Monitor and is located in the dash just above the radio....

If you do not have one, there will be a block off plate in its position....

I had that same problem on my 92 that sat for a few years before I got the HGs fixed....:rolleyes:

After running 4 or 5 full tanks of fuel through her, the problem cleared up on its own....

Or it could have been because I parked her next to one of my SCs that was heavily parted out and I told her that if she gave me any more problems, she would look like that one.....:p

k. i have the vmm, but it doesn't work properly. it appears to have been removed, because it has black electrical tape holding it together.

Sounds like a common repair.....:rolleyes:

The face plate breaks off and some people use black electrical tape to hold it together.....

lol. unfortunately, the reset button on the vmm is missing, but since the battery was out for a couple months, everything should be reset.

Back