PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Seca

91BLOWNBIRD
05-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Going to a track for the 1st time that is not a drag strip

Local BMW club hosts a track day at Laguna Seca...always wanted to get onto that track!

Any suggestions/pointers? I don't have a full on track car but it isn't my daily.

91BLOWNBIRD
05-11-2011, 10:38 PM
this is the inspection sheet...

http://www.ggcbmwcca.org/events/615/Tech%20Inspection%20Form.pdf

not sure if I will pass the 92 dbA level and I posted an ABS issue in the Technical forum to get some feedback on it...

fast Ed
05-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Make sure that you have fresh brake fluid, and at least 50% pad thickness. Confirm that your suspension components are tight, add about 5 psi all around to your tires as a starting point, and go have fun!

cheers
Ed N.

91BLOWNBIRD
05-14-2011, 01:09 AM
I'm am only concerned with 2 things on the inspection sheet...

1. dbA of 92 max at 50ft...not sure where I can calculate that

&

2. DOT rated tires...not sure what that is...new to all things track

any input?

ricardoa1
05-14-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm am only concerned with 2 things on the inspection sheet...

1. dbA of 92 max at 50ft...not sure where I can calculate that

&

any input?

Dot stands for department of transportation, any street tire sold in the us needs to be dot approved, so you should already have some on the car. If its a racing tire then check the manufacturer. As for the exhaust how loud is it? Youshould be fine with just pipes out the back.

fast Ed
05-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Sound measurement can be very subjective, depending on how they do the test. When I was up at a new track in Ontario a few years back with my SC, they also had a 92 decibel limit, which the 95 passed with no trouble. At the time I had a Magnaflow muffler as a resonator, and Borla mufflers at the rear. As long as you don't have anything obnoxious for an exhaust system on the car, you should be fine.

cheers
Ed N.

91BLOWNBIRD
05-14-2011, 06:47 PM
i am running mid lengths with dual high flow cats into the smallest dual in/out magnaflow they have with dual 2.5" pipes out the rear center

its pretty loud at WOT but the tech sheet says 92 dbA @ 50'

i'll try to find a sound meeter...requirements dont specify under load or not...pretty sure car is louder under load but not sure.

PDQ SC
05-14-2011, 08:41 PM

any input?

The web site for the Silver State Challenge has a link to Tire Rack's tire rating info. Very informative stuff about what the numbers and letters on the tire sidewalls means.