Exhaust Ball Joint Gasket??

SCrazy

SCCoA Member
Over the years the ball joint connecting my headers and down pipes has taken a beating an no longer seals up perfectly.

Anybody using a gasket or something in the joint to help it seal better??

Over the years the ball joint connecting my headers and down pipes has taken a beating an no longer seals up perfectly.

Orange RTV and a big hammer :D
Seriously though, inspect the area where the pipe meets the header flange. I discovered that as the flange warped over time, it was interfering with the exhaust pipe and bottoming out. The next time I took my exhaust down, I ground down some of the "socket" connection on the down tube and my exhaust sealed a lot better.

Brian,

I had mine repaired at a work a couple times and never could keep the connections sealed for very long if racing or spending a lot of time on the dyno. That was one of the reasons I went to the longtube headers.

If doing it over, I would have kept them and reworked the headers to have a V-band connection.

David

Brian,

I had mine repaired at a work a couple times and never could keep the connections sealed for very long if racing or spending a lot of time on the dyno. That was one of the reasons I went to the longtube headers.

If doing it over, I would have kept them and reworked the headers to have a V-band connection.

David

.....ditto

Orange RTV and a big hammer :D
Seriously though, inspect the area where the pipe meets the header flange. I discovered that as the flange warped over time, it was interfering with the exhaust pipe and bottoming out. The next time I took my exhaust down, I ground down some of the "socket" connection on the down tube and my exhaust sealed a lot better.

I think this is exactly what has happened. Im gonna try stacking a couple of those gaskets in there.......kind of like stacking up wax gaskets under the crappper. Next time the headers are off ill have to look at something more permanent

Back