Rear Wheels Not Centered

Cyboman

Does anyone know why on some MN12s (mostly later model ones), the rear wheels are not centered in the wheel opening, but are forward a couple of inches?

Michael

Does anyone know why on some MN12s (mostly later model ones), the rear wheels are not centered in the wheel opening, but are forward a couple of inches?

Michael

I have never heard of that, but I would have a 4-wheel alignment done because that is what caster adjustment changes. Worth a check at least.

Very common, my car is one of them. I take there is some adjustability on the main IRS mounts. Ive never taken down my IRS unit so it was that from the start. You could try to recenter it but I dont see issues as long as the wheels are aligned to compensate.

I have never heard of that, but I would have a 4-wheel alignment done because that is what caster adjustment changes. Worth a check at least.

threre is no castor measurement for rear wheels.

like said there is probably someting moved in the rear of the car, an alingment is probably needed anyway.

Hmm, sorry about that. been a long time since I did mine. Now I think of it, I guess theirs not, unless you can move the whole subframe a bit.

Chris

Very common, my car is one of them. I take there is some adjustability on the main IRS mounts. Ive never taken down my IRS unit so it was that from the start. You could try to recenter it but I dont see issues as long as the wheels are aligned to compensate.
The issue is it just doesn't look right. The wheel should be centered in the opening. If one were to go with bigger (say 20") wheels it would look worse, and could possibly rub in places where it would not otherwise.

Does anyone know if the subframe could slide back in it's mounts that much to correct this?

Michael

The issue is it just doesn't look right. The wheel should be centered in the opening. If one were to go with bigger (say 20") wheels it would look worse, and could possibly rub in places where it would not otherwise.

Does anyone know if the subframe could slide back in it's mounts that much to correct this?

Michael

There has to be some play, if its worth the hassle to you back out the IRS bolts and lift the body with a jack and push to the side the body and set it back down then rebolt it. But if you are in a rust prone area I would not attempt it.

My 96 is like that too, I've seen it before. Oh, and I had Ford do an alignment just a couple of months ago. I watched the tech adjust the right rear wheel alignment slightly.

Back