The Bird Want come to life

Icebird

Hi there
I am here in Iceland and I was putting new engine in my SC bird .It has take me 5 years in prosess so many things ad to been done twice or often :) .But now I try to start the car but it want run not even a spift from the engine just turns and nothing .It gets fuel so far as I know and everything is hook up no loose ends :) .I need some sugestions to keep me going

Thanks in advance
Palli

Hi there
I am here in Iceland and I was putting new engine in my SC bird .It has take me 5 years in prosess so many things ad to been done twice or often :) .But now I try to start the car but it want run not even a spift from the engine just turns and nothing .It gets fuel so far as I know and everything is hook up no loose ends :) .I need some sugestions to keep me going

Thanks in advance
Palli

Upshift light stay on when cranking engine? car have all stock parts?

Hi there
Thanks for the reyplay :) .This car is all stock .I did not see if the uppshiftlight was on sorry will chek to night .Why upshiftlight if I may ask its automatic ?????

Thanks Palli

Last edited:
The upshift light will stay on, during cranking, if the computer isn't getting a signal from the crank sensor.

If it does shut off then I would check to see if you have fuel pressure. It should be about 40 PSI, key-on.

The upshift light will stay on, during cranking, if the computer isn't getting a signal from the crank sensor.

If it does shut off then I would check to see if you have fuel pressure. It should be about 40 PSI, key-on.

correct. Let us know what you find.

I was working on the bird and the light stays on while its cranking .And there is plenty pressure on the fuel but the fuel is 6 years old:rolleyes:.:rolleyes:

i was working on the bird and the light stays on while its cranking .and there is plenty pressure on the fuel but the fuel is 6 years old:rolleyes:.:rolleyes:

you have no crank signal from crankshaft position sensor or a out of aligned sensor

Hi there
thanks guys for all this help I am lost in this the cars I work on have carbs hehehehe not comp. So this bird is killing me hehehe .when I put this sensor on the car it looked bad but the car ran with it last time it was driving ? But I think its out so I have to wait for 2 weeks after new one :rolleyes:.

Thanks Palli

Hi there
thanks guys for all this help I am lost in this the cars I work on have carbs hehehehe not comp. So this bird is killing me hehehe .when I put this sensor on the car it looked bad but the car ran with it last time it was driving ? But I think its out so I have to wait for 2 weeks after new one :rolleyes:.

Thanks Palli

What a guess!!!!

The main thing is to make sure you align the new one correctly inside the reluctor. If it hits, then you will ruin the new one. Glad we got at least one problem figured out though.

Chris

While you are waiting, get that old fuel out of there. I suggest taking the fuel filter off, jump wire across the fuel pump relay(Left side of trunk) and let the fuel pump suck the majority of the fuel out. Quick and easy.

Last edited:
Hi there
Thanks again for this awsome input guys .The fuel will go out of there and new in .I order new sensor for $60 Is that fear price or ?

Thanks Palli

Hi there guys
Now I put the new cranksensor in and no life the up shift light is still on and it just cranks .I am trying to read of engine scanner but that is nothing on the scan like he can not contact the computer because the motor don´t run .Now I am lost for real :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks in advance Palli

Last edited:
Make sure that the reluctor wheel is actually going into the groove of the sensor. I have had a problem with the balancer not going on the way on or the bolt coming loose. If that happens, then the sensor will not pick up any signals. If the motor was running before, this is a likely cause.

If not that, then you may have a problem with the computer and/or harness. You can trace the wires, from the sensor to the EEC, and check for damage. Make sure everything is grounded properly.

Maybe you have a wiring issue of some kind. I am not sure what the best way is to narrow it down. How about this ... when you turn the key, what do you see and hear? Do you hear the fuel pump run briefly? How about the ARC relays in the trunk? Do you hear them "thump-thump"? And what about the gauge warning lights? Do they turn on for a few seconds, then back off?

Hi there
I was in the garage and I got friend to help me to check for spark and there is no spark to the plugs ?

Hi there
I was in the garage and I got friend to help me to check for spark and there is no spark to the plugs ?

A bad crank sensor is one thing that will definitely cut out spark entirely.

However, a bad EEC might do the same thing. I wouldn't rush to judge the EEC bad, but it could be.

I am still thinking wiring. Has the EEC ever been out of the car? Or maybe there is some corrosion in some of the harness plugs from the long downtime?

Back