Brakes and misc questions.

Helltime

I just picked up an 89 supercoupe yesterday, have a couple questions. The previous owner took out the stock brake booster and all you see in the car is a master cylinder. I keep seeing on here that you either have the fix the system or do a complete swap. So how did they run this master cylinder, i have brakes, just not power assist.

Also i need a rear diff mount, how much do the stock replacements cost and is the ford dealer the only place to get them? My goal is just to get this back on the road this summer, can't spring for the poly mount just yet.

Today i went through and cleaned the interior up, got the carpet looking good, fixed the low fluid indicator ect, but one thing i haven't figured out yet is why my coolant temp gauge isn't working. All the other gauges in the cluster function as they should, the temp how ever stays clear over on the cold side no matter what, didn't notice it til i was bringing it home decided to step on it alittle and the check gauges light came on til i let off and i looked at the temp gauge. Is this a common problem, where should i start looking? It stays pegged as cold so i don't even think it is getting any power.

There is a TSB on failing temp sensors on all one-screw-sensor cars up until 1996 or so, so yep, I'd swap the sensor first.

Do be careful - there's one for the gauge, one for the ECM, and if you have the fully automatic temp control, one for the Cold Engine Lock Out. So verify which one you're changing before you change it (hint: It'll look identical to the one you're putting in.)

RwP

(who swapped his original CELO for a temp sending unit, before he found out about the CELO .. and had to find one in a junkyard! :eek: )

could you post a picture of the brake setup?

IMG_4818.jpg

Can't get a good pic.

As for the temp sensor, i will give it a try, just found a have a new coolant leak, i can see the coolant dripping from above the harmonic balancer somewhere, I'm hoping its just a hose but i have a feeling its probably the water pump because of where its at and its a steady drip.

You are missing the vacuum booster for the MC.....:confused:

Not sure what car that MC came from, but it isn't the one most commonly used for a conversion.....

Last edited:
Are you having any problems with this setup? I would think you would have a very stiff pedal and have trouble with the rear brakes locking up.

That is the way I picked this car up, yes the pedal is stiff, there is no power assist of any kind. I haven't had the rear brakes lock up or anything, but I haven't driven it much either, don't want to without power brakes.

Do a search for swapping ABS to conventional....

There is a lot of info on what parts you need and how to do it.....:D

Do a search for swapping ABS to conventional....

There is a lot of info on what parts you need and how to do it.....:D

Right after i posted this thread i found something about a master cylinder from a 93 crown vic with a t-bird non sc booster. I'm just wondering whats in it now and if the previous owners did something to make that swap harder/more problematic.

Well right now my main focus is trying to figure out this new coolant leak and figure out why the rear end is clunking, i thought it was the rear diff mount, but i'm not sure now and don't wanna spend $300 on a poly and have that not be the issue.

EDIT: Found my coolant leak, pulled the a/c compressor out of the way, took off all belts, took out 3 bolts from the bracket that held the a/c on and pulled it towards the passenger side fender, and i put 16lbs of pressure on the system and behold, a nice stream of coolant "pissing" out of the top pass side corner of the timing chain cover.... yay :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back