loud power steering pump

mike93sc

I've done some extensive research on the famous whining power steering pumps. I've had 3 late model (94, 95, 94) supercoupes. This is my first early model (93). I dont remember my previous cars having power steering this loud. I'd like to flush the power steering fluid and looked up the different ways to do it. I'd like to flush it out by removing the belt on the pump and spinning it manually after i disconnect the low pressure line. Has anyone flushed their fluid with this procedue and is it the most effective? I think it would probably take longer, but i feel like I have more control spinning it manually. Also, do i need to turn the wheels at the same time? I want to get it flushed out good before I invest $ on a new pump.

Thanks,

Mike

Put it on jack stands and turn your wheel left to right until you get all the air bubbles out of the system. There is also a valve you can push open to aid in bleeding and flushing.

If your pump is already damaged and continues to make a horrible whining sound you can put ATF in place of the PS fluid.

Back