auto transmission problem

mmathews

I posted a thread awhile back with no solution. My trans shudders at low rpm under load. It has a high idle 5 seconds after put in park. Also, i am not sure on this, it seems like the converter doesn't lock. It upshifts into OD too soon. It does from 2nd - 3rd too if you ask me but that might just be the nature of it. I flushed the trans. The pan was pretty clean. I put mercV in it. When i did my hg's, i had the cow off and some water got into the dipstick. I didn't even realize it. The fluid was a little milky. I drove it once before i realized what happened an it shuddered. So i am assuming the water did damage. Could it have damages to solenoid? Or is it more likely mechanical? At half throttle plus, theres no shudder. Its a '94.

The glue that holds the frictions together in any auto transmission is water soluable. The frictions are coming apart, time for a rebuild or replace. Replacing with a 3.8 mustang trans is the easiest solution.
Alan

Is the gearing the same? I did a search and read some confusing harness stuff. Is it a matter of getting the mustang harness and color matching the wires? Should i replace the tc?

Speedometer gear can be different.
For stock gears a $10 plastic gear will fit it.
for 3.55 and 3.73 the output shaft can be swapped to correct it (also works on other stock gears)
for 3.90 and numerically higher a speedcal must be installed.
to use any 03/04 transmissions which are the best you must swap the output shaft. I do it about 10 times a year it isn't very difficult for me.
Alan

So i am looking for an 03/04? Can i use my output shaft? Also, it doesn't spinn freely type slip but it seems to slip slightly. Its hard to explain. I did some mods to the car. Some porting, 10% pulley, ac ps delete and lost over a second on my time. The motor is smooth and quick. Could the trans be slipping? But still be kinda strong?

Yes I suggest using your output shaft and extension housing. Make sure to get a good extension housing or replace the bushing if you see any bushing wear on the rear. A new seal will be important as well. You will want to do a few other cheap easy while you are in there make it better fixes too.
New seals to make sure it doesn't leak, including the sealing rings on the output shaft for the direct clutch.
The late design ones are solid instead of the earlier split ones. A little difficult to install but worth it.
The reverse drum will be hardened tips which is good and will have a mechanical diode which is good. Put a spiral snap ring on there. It's abotu $5 in parts but again well worth it if you like having 2nd gear.
The overdrive I suggest putting a high energy band in there because they are always the first to go and the high energy band is considerably better. It isn't a bad idea to put a sonnax servo pin on the overdrive servo either. A little help for the weakest gear.
The valvebody you can calibrate to work with yours, I can send you instructions if you need. I posted them on youtube.
If the trans is over about 40,000 miles change the pressure control solenoid. The pressure regulator valve I highly suggest the sonnax one. They make 2 one with a 3% increase and one without. Either one is fine depends on how firm you want your shifts. It is noticeable. The converter get a markVIII flexplate and you probably want to see me for a well built 11&1/4 converter. I cannot give you any other suggestions but me for a good one as everything else I have seen in them besides mine is crap. I would think there would be exceptions to the rule but I haven't seen it. You need a new lockup solenoid for your year of car. You can use your old one but it is a gamble and they aren't that expensive. Your lever must be installed as well and If the mlps hasn't been updated you need to do so.
Do all that and you shouldn't be messing with that trans again unless you go bracket racing every weekend and put 20-30 thousand miles on the car a year. It will perform way better and last 4 times the stock one. If gearing is numeraically higher than 3.27 or 3.55 at most I suggest a rear lube mod to keep the driveshaft yoke well lubricated.
If you get both transmissions and bring them out I can fix them in about an hour.
Alan

Back