best mod you have done

mmathews

So how bout it? Whats the best mod you have done? But dont limit it to mods. Anything that improved your sc. Go ahead and name some flops too.

For me, a top one is replacing the motor mounts. As far as mods, porting the sc and closing the silencer ports. I noticed a positive feel from it and coupled with removing the hood liner and raising it, it sounds bad azz

Best mods in order

1 Twin Screw blower
2 Lentec valve body and or tranny
3 3.73 gears
4 9.5" TQ Converter
5 Griffen radiator
6 Manual seatbelts (Not a performance mod but I hated the auto belts)

Least satisfied mods

1 Raise top
2 Mustang headers
3 White face gauges (looks only)
4 M112 blower

Ken

Best mod by far:
Quarterhorse Chip - I can do my own tuning:D

Worst mod:
Quarterhorse Chip - I can do my own tuning:rolleyes:

Really though, I think anything that re-news the chassis/suspension is a top mod in my case. Simply replacing the worn shocks was a big improvement, and other than the cost, the Koni's were a win!

Second best mod a fresh rebuild of the motor. Anytime I've had a rebuilt motor, I love to turn the key and start them. The difference between a fresh motor sound and a tired motor sound, night and day, makes the whole car feel young again.

Good:

SCT Pro-Racer Package
Koni Shocks F&R
Delrin IRS Bushings
Magnum Powers SC inlet and Throttle Body
Brembo 4-piston Calipers
Torsen Differential

Bad:

Poly front LCA bushings

Best:

1. Auburn Pro differential w/3.55 gears.
2. True dual exhaust. Mainly because I got it at pull-a-part for $20.:D
3. New ps rack and lines, NO MORE LEAKS!

Bad:

1. 5.0 swap. I love it but now I have to try to build 2 car, one with the stock motor.:confused:

Best (favorites):
1) Quarterhorse
2) FMIC
3) Black Leather Swap
4) Switchpanel

Worst:
1) Driveshaft loop (just needs adjusted...currently, the exhaust is knocking on it all the time. :rolleyes:)
2) Reverse Indiglo gauges

Can't really say that I've been disappointed in too much on the car really! :)

Either my Duralast silver brake pads or my pistol grip shift knob with a line lock button on it.

Best:
Dave Dalke head/cam combo & DD tune
MPx with 25% OD combined with a 100 wet shot nitrous
Mustang hub swap
QH chip (don't know how to adjust the tune yet)

Worst:
Driver mod (can't teach him zhit)
All mods, car would have been much simpler if I had left it bone stock.......:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I say to enjoy your car most work on the suspension.

Allthough not a mod either rebuilt to stock specs or upgraded if you dont mind a firmer ride. Make sure all bushings, ball joints are in primo condition. Also chocks/struts. Also a full good tune up. A majority of these cars were never maintained properly once they left the original owner. A stock well maintained SC is a sweet ride

#1 Mod in my book (and first thing Ive done on all my SC's)

1) Cobra brake / mustang lug conversion and 17" (or 18" or 19") wheels with good tires.

With a tight stock suspension this mod just makes the car 100% better IMO...Then you realize how slow it really is!

From there and in order

Lowering car-I like the look and the feel
exhaust- You just have to do that
fuel pump....Just do it before you have an issue

Everything after the above should really be planned out having a goal in mind as they all effect one another or need to be properly matched otherwise you will be doing duplicate work (spending money twice)

That being said you can get bolt ons which can be used later on:

1) Ported blower which you have.
1) 5 or 10% jackshaft
2) Intercooler, double stock, stock with fan, aftermarket front mount. Depends where you want to go with that.
3) Underdrive pulleys
4) Raised top_Just because
4) 85mm TB, MP inlet 3.5 MAF and 90mm LMAF 42lb injectors
5) Tune for above

And if I were going for #5 thats the point you need to be looking at getting a tune for sure..An dId just bite the bullet and get a cam/ported heads put n which will give you a rather huge smile on your face.

I see way to many people try to make there cars fast only to call them piles because they either arent fast enough or really are just piles because all effort was put into the motor and not the rest of the car.

So best and favorite mode revolve around getting the car performing as intended then working from the bottom up

For me, a top one is replacing the motor mounts.

That is so funny. I read the title and was going to say, "Motor mounts!", but then I realized it wasn't really a modification and decided not to say it. But if the original poster is saying it, then I will too! They really smoothed out the car and improved my enjoyment of driving SO much. I wish I had done it much sooner.

I agree with Damon ... money spent on the suspension - just fixing it - is probably the most added enjoyment for the dollar.

What else?

Door hinge pins! After replacing all 4, I was sore and bleeding. But, oh, what a relief to have doors that JUST CLOSE RIGHT!!!

Renting the Rug Doctor and cleaning the entire interior, cloth seats and all. I found Coke spills that I didn't even know I had. It pulled SO much stuff out of the carpet padding and the seat foam. The carpet still has a few stains, but the entire car feels so much better now.

New OEM floormats! They replaced yucky, ill-fitting ones that the previous owner had put in. (Or maybe the original owner before him.) No more bunching up under the gas pedal!

Home-ported blower case and home-coated rotors worked out fairly well ... but the rotor pack bearing and seals are just so old, it rattles and loses SC fluid. I wish I had sent the blower to Embree Specialty Machine or Magnum Powers for a rebuild after porting the case. But now the money isn't available, because I am spending it fixing other things on the car! :rolleyes:

The Moates Quarterhorse has been a success. Very nice tool. I am not using it to its full potential, perhaps, with my limited number of mods. But it is cool.

Mods I am looking forward to:

Re-cushioned driver's seat! I am tired of feeling the metal frame against my 200lb+ bones.

New AOD shifter bushings! I miss the way that my old 89 base model used to "Click" into each gear. My shifter wobbles side to side and front to back, which makes it finicky to shift between OD and D.

Which I do a lot, thanks to the annoying "CLUNK" when the car goes into OD while coasting. Maybe it's more of a "WHAM", even. In fact, fixing that is on my list too ... I am going to do rear LCA and UCA bushings, maybe front differential mounts, check the driveshaft and u-joints, and we will see how it feels.

Soft cushy seat belt covers. Feel soooooo good against the bare neck when driving. Oh and the occasional spritz of a fine cologne, good for bringing back memories and freshening up the cab. :rolleyes:

Best Mod
Suspension upgrades, every bushing is poly, addco sways and improved shocks (Bilstein) non adjustable.
Made my own raised top. Just happy to be doing something hotrodders use to do.

Worst
Poly bushings when it gets about 45 or colder they make a lot of noise
MPX @ 25% OD
3.27gears w/5spd

Best mod??

1 Late model blower

2 Not driving SC for 2 years :) (hard to break stuff when its already broken sitting in your garage)

Back