Quick Question

89_nitemare_sc

I got a couple of issues I need to take care of to "pass" :D my NC inspection. I haven't taken the car car yet but I know it won't pass.

First thing is. How many parking brake cables does a 89 5-speed have? I think mine is totally crapped out. Handle won't come up at all to engage it. :(

Second thing. Anyone know how hard it is to replace the back-up light switch? I'm guessing that's the reason my reverse lights won't work. :D

Oh and does anyone know if they (NC) require the headlights to be aligned? My driver side light housing has a crack at one of the adjuster screws so it's not lined up perfect and shoots up and to the right a little. :rolleyes:

Thanks

Should be two cables...one from the lever that goes underneath the back seat and down to the other one that connects the two rear calipers.

Perhaps nothing has ever been adjusted?

Look underneath, where the two cables come together. There should be a coiled spring on the pull cable - locate the retaining clip and unlock it long enough for the spring to take out slack, then reseat the clip. Maybe you'll get lucky.

If not, you'll be right there to inspect for broken/worn out components. You might have to pull the wheels and inspect the lever action on the calipers, etc.

Good luck in any case.

Actually there are three cables that make up the e-brake system....

The main one from the handle back to a block, from there one cable goes to each caliper.....

Sounds like your system might be frozen or out of adjustment....

AFAIK your car will not be required to pass an emissions test (it's too old)....:p

Where in Charlotte are you.....

I'm up on the north side near Northlake Mall.....

You will need to pull the whole mechanism apart and work clean/oil/work the cables back into condition. You will have to dismantle/clean/oil the rear calipers to get the parking lever to operate. Once they've set for years, due to rust and grime buildup, they don't operate properly.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking mine are old and froze up as the problem. I pulled up the carpet and the cable is all rusty and crappy looking. Was gonna hit it with some blaster or wd40 and see if I could get it freed up. Might be the project for this weekend. Jack the old girl up and spray her down. Should check my back-up switch for juice before I pull it and still no lights.

You guys think it would be ok to re-fill my a/c with one of those kits even though mine came factory as r12? Or should I look into a conversion kit?

I figured I'm too old for emissions.

Big-E => Yeah I'm in Charlotte. Well actually out on Hwy 16 by the lake. Couple miles from 16/73 intersection. I know where Northlake is. GF has spent good amount of money there.:D

update

Ok guys. I believe my brake cables are froze up. I sprayed the hell out of the cables with blaster. got some movement of the cable but it still wont move enough to engage. And have half the interior tore out to do this and can't get the console out to get to the side of the handle to get the cable off. Well at least without braking it.

I'm trying to find the cables I need online so that I can just replace all of the darn things. But I'm having a hard time finding the right ones. I know the front one from the hand control back but can't figure out the others. It looks like my cables are twisted around at the tensioner. If thats possible.:confused:

I'm not sure if I need an intermediate and 2 cables to run across the axle to each caliper or if it's just the intermediate and 1 cable. :confused:

Any advice or an idea would be helpful guys.
Thanks.

i think rockauto used to stock our cables at one time IIRC, worth a shot

i bought a red 90 from nj, it too had a frozen ebrake, i applied too much force one day and SNAP, still never got around to replacing the cable yet :( that was some 2 years ago lol

Ok guys. I believe my brake cables are froze up. I sprayed the hell out of the cables with blaster. got some movement of the cable but it still wont move enough to engage. And have half the interior tore out to do this and can't get the console out to get to the side of the handle to get the cable off. Well at least without braking it.

I'm trying to find the cables I need online so that I can just replace all of the darn things. But I'm having a hard time finding the right ones. I know the front one from the hand control back but can't figure out the others. It looks like my cables are twisted around at the tensioner. If thats possible.:confused:

I'm not sure if I need an intermediate and 2 cables to run across the axle to each caliper or if it's just the intermediate and 1 cable. :confused:

Any advice or an idea would be helpful guys.
Thanks.

Get up with Eddie, the-big-e, he has about 15 or so supercoupes and he lives in your same town.

Thanks nickleman. I just got a PM from him.

Thanks decipha. I will check them out. I bought my rotors from them last year. Forgot all about them. LOL. So easy to just think of the store down the road.

Back