PDA

View Full Version : Beginning of the end of the rebuild project

sdw
05-30-2011, 01:34 AM
Well it's the beginning of the end for my '91 rebuild project.

This has been a long time in coming. I am hoping to have most everything done in the next 3 weeks. I will post as I go along.

Here are some pics.

This is the what I did with the floor. Because the underlay was soaking wet on this car (and my old '89 cougar) I decided I was going to find a way to allow water to evaporate and not rot the underlay / carpet. I used these grid mats to keep the underlay off the floor. I peeled the underlay off the carpet and then used that foam flooring that puzzle pieces together instead of the felt.

Regards

Sean

sdw
05-30-2011, 01:36 AM
Here's the replacement door I bought from John Ludorf to replace the original that was rusted on the bottom. Not pictured is the replacement of the '91 rear stabilizer bar with the one from my '89 Cougar. I also preinstalled some 4 AWG power wire for a potential amplifier upgrade.

Regards

Sean

sdw
05-30-2011, 01:41 AM
The engine bay before and after the first coat of paint. I finished up the engine bay last week but have yet to take a picture of the final product. It came out pretty nice. I used a two part paint in a rattle can from Endura.

sdw
05-30-2011, 01:54 AM
Here's a picture of the rebuilt engine. It now has a cam, ported heads with roller rockers, ported intake, high volume oil pump, Wiseco Forged Pistons, Rebuilt 94/95 conn rods all via Mr Dalke. Thanks Dave!!

Should have the balance of the parts installed on it by next weekend.

Regards

Sean

shoalcracker
05-30-2011, 08:10 AM
Very clean motor.

Love the valve covers.

Paul

David Neibert
05-30-2011, 08:53 AM
Here's a picture of the rebuilt engine. It now has a cam, ported heads with roller rockers, ported intake, high volume oil pump, Wiseco Forged Pistons, Rebuilt 94/95 conn rods all via Mr Dalke. Thanks Dave!!

Should have the balance of the parts installed on it by next weekend.

Regards

Sean

Sean,

The motor looks great.

David

Toms-SC
05-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Sean when do you want to meet up at Mission Raceway? :) Progress is sweet man!

sdw
05-30-2011, 09:35 PM
I'd love to go once for sure. Let me get it on the road and broken in and we'll set a date.

Regards

Sean

Toms-SC
05-31-2011, 12:30 PM
Who do you have doing your tuning? You live really close to me. Let me know if you need a hand or any parts.

sdw
05-31-2011, 03:32 PM
Tom:

I've already got a QH from Mr Dalke with a base tune based on the engine etc.

I picked up a little laptop to run it but haven't d/l BE yet because I am still a ways from being ready for a start-up.

I will definitely take you up on your offer.

Thanks

Sean

91 XR7
06-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Congrats sean it's been a long time comin for you to get it this close :)
Now if I can get the wife to allow me to play with my car :(

Micahdogg
06-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Valve covers look good! I did the same thing with mine, only with black around the base and inside the lettering. If they are bare, I want to see a picture in a week. IF they are coated, I want to see a picture in two weeks :) That magnesium is a whore.

sdw
06-02-2011, 04:09 PM
When I first started the valve covers I was pretty surprised at the quality of the casting?

For finishing after painting the colours I sprayed them with engine clearcoat. I'm hoping that will keep them looking somewhat nice. :)

Did the same for the SC top. (pics to come once I pop it on the engine.)

Regards

Sean

91 XR7
06-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Sean, you know you can get them powder coated in clear right?

sdw
06-03-2011, 03:32 AM
Locally?

Sean

91 XR7
06-03-2011, 10:03 AM
yep. we have things powder coated locally at work.
now if i remember the name of the company.

Hudson Plating i believe does it, but it's not the company we use (they do all the Cadium, ect type plating for us)

Micahdogg
06-03-2011, 10:14 AM
When I first started the valve covers I was pretty surprised at the quality of the casting?

For finishing after painting the colours I sprayed them with engine clearcoat. I'm hoping that will keep them looking somewhat nice. :)

Did the same for the SC top. (pics to come once I pop it on the engine.)

Regards

Sean

Magnesium is nasty stuff. You'll be surprised at how quickly they turn. The top is aluminum though, so that should do considerably better.

Just try to think of a time when you ever saw polished "Mag" wheels. There is a reason why they always looked like cement.

sdw
06-08-2011, 09:57 PM
You'll be surprised at how quickly they turn.

Definitely they are not as nice and shiny as the top. They went south quite quickly.

But since they are covered up by lots o' stuff and look better than black I'm not especially disappointed.

Got sidetracked by the head gasket on my Mom's Honda so will be finishing the fuel rail rebuild tomorrow and hopefully finish the final polishing on the two intakes.

Sean

SCchick3
06-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Veryyy nice.. makes my build look tiny :)

Love how clean the motor is! What color is the exterior? Why did you choose to go with black in the engine bay?

I'm still undecided. I think i'm set on body color the engine bay just to keep the value of the car up...does that sound goofy?

sdw
06-08-2011, 11:24 PM
The engine had a total rebuild so it has been hot tanked, and repainted. So it better look clean. ;)

Hopefully I can keep it that way.

I choose black instead of of white for cleanliness reasons. My car has been modified from stock (lowered, '89 sway bar, 3 gauge pillar pod, after market stereo, non original seat leather, so it really doesn't have much in the way of collector value so that wasn't a consideration for me.

I will put more progress pics up on Sunday if I recover from the Canuck beating tonight.

Sean

sdw
06-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Got a little more work done.

Rebuilt the fuel rail. Painted and installed it with the new 60# injectors.

Placed the thermostat housing on the engine but forgot to pick up a new 180 thermostat so didn't tighten it down.

Started to clean up the wiring in the engine bay got a little more than halfway done.

Will be installing the Engine in two weeks, (taking next weekend off for 50th birthday celebrations.) :)

Sean

sdw
06-26-2011, 11:46 PM
I was hoping to drop the engine in this weekend but ran into a couple of snags. but did get some things done..

Installed the balanced driveshaft with a new slip yoke and u-joints.

Finished my DIS heat sink.

Installed the steering rack but still have to install the hoses. The line that goes to the cooler is a bit ratty so I have to repair that. will do that this week.

Installed the new steering gear.

Put on a little bling in a new info tag.

Working on locating the new oil and temp sensors.

Hopefully next weekend will be engine in.

Sean

91 XR7
06-27-2011, 10:25 AM
the steering joint you got there. I HOPE you used thread locker (Permanent) on the set screws??
Also does the flaming river joints not come with jam nuts? from the picture i cant tell :(

sdw
06-27-2011, 11:23 AM
It has both jam nuts and thread locker. :D

Thanks for the concern!

Sean

91 XR7
06-28-2011, 01:14 AM
if your 95% sure you don't want it to come apart you can place (say two-three drops?) of thread lock into the thread hole. then some on the set screw then assemble. odds of getting it to come apart then is very low, since the thread locked gets into the shaft section, cures and well mildly locks the two together :)

it's what i do at work (nearly all our cars now used Ididit joints and 3/4" DD shafts and Columns) and can be a `Female Dog' to take apart :)

oh'yah, and Jam nuts mean almost nothing at that point :D

sdw
07-06-2011, 03:39 AM
More progress.

Unfortunately I'm about to embark on a week and a half business trip.

Hopefully I'll have a few more bits installed before I go.

Regards

Sean

sdw
08-05-2011, 03:11 AM
Well it seems like things take forever but have made a little bit of progress.

The driveline is now all in. Still have to pop the front half of the exhaust on.

The Engine bay is coming along. Had to redo the valve covers since they didn't like the engine clear coat paint I put on them, oh well.

Put the gauges into the pillar pod and drilled the holes for mounting it. Brought it home so I can put all the wiring in next week after my return from Seattle.

Here's some new pics.

sdw
08-31-2011, 12:24 AM
Things are still moving along albeit slowly.

Once I figure out the mystery connector then I will pretty much have my wiring completed.

I still have to get the piping finished for the FMIC though it is mounted.

Got the bumper back from the bumper repair shop with the tabs welded back on and the license plate holes filled.

The gauge pod is mounted and everything is wired up.

The new gauge faces are in though I am now unsure about running led's as they seemed really hot to touch and I don't know what they will do to the gauges.

Got BE up and running and it looks like that should work fine. Haven't compared David's tune to the original yet as per his post but that should be easy. Did have a setback on the laptop though. The old IBM Thinkpad I bought wasn't new enough so I had to put a Windows partition on my Macbook. That works fine so if anyone else wants to do that you shouldn't have a problem.

Off on a long business trip to Alberta and Saskatchewan at the end of next week so it looks like the start-up date will be September 24th if everything goes ok.

Here's a few new pics. None of the pillar pod yet.

regards

Sean

sdw
09-07-2011, 02:59 AM
Installed the EEC back into the car and mounted the cable to the top of the side kick plate. :)

Yes, I know I have to clean that. :o

Sure wish the car was at home, I'd get a lot more done quicker. :(

XR7 Dave
09-07-2011, 07:44 AM
You are making much more progress than me. Nice FMIC! Hate to sound like a killjoy here, but I think your gauge needles should be pointing at the -0-, your speedo and tach are going to be reading off just a little.

sdw
09-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the words of encouragement David! Coming from you that makes me feel pretty good.

I am still working on a new colour for the needles so they are just put in place until I find something that will show up well. I was going to go with blue but that didn't work out.

Regards

Sean

91 XR7
09-07-2011, 11:08 PM
if you want them to light up blue, don't' paint them blue :P
use either a blue LED, or transparent blue paint to paint the area behind the black round piece in the center to start

CurtisPaulfrey
09-07-2011, 11:29 PM
What do you have into the motor?

sdw
09-08-2011, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Kevin I'll give it a try.

transparent blue paint to paint the area behind the black round piece in the center to start

What do you have into the motor?

Well, I've got reconditioned 94/5 rods, new Wiseco forged pistons, cam, high volume oil pump, ported heads, ported intake manifold, 1:73 roller rockers, harden steel push rods, ARP studs, QH all courtesy of Mr Dalke
New lifters, 94/5 blower, 76mm throttle body, 80mm MAF, FMIC.

Engine is balanced and the driveshaft is balanced with a new slip yoke.

Plus other incidentals.

It has been a long time since I started so I've already forgotten what it's like to drive. :(

Regards

Sean

CurtisPaulfrey
09-12-2011, 09:54 PM
How much money do you have into the motor?

sdw
09-15-2011, 12:21 AM
How much money do you have into the motor?

I guess it depends on what you define as motor.

All in including the S-port supercharger FMIC, TB, MAF, somewhere close to $5,400.

It always makes me laugh when I see people undervalue SC's that already have all this work done to them.

Knowing what I know now I should have bought Sean Matteson's car.

(http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64707)

Even at his original asking price!

Regards

Sean

sdw
09-27-2011, 12:53 AM
Made a little more progress on the FMIC piping tonight. Just have to notch out a spot on the drivers side where the 180 degree bend goes tomorrow and it will all fit.

Also received my exhaust parts from mandrelexhaust.com so just have to buy the 2 in 2 out resonator, cats and some mufflers and find someone to weld it up and I'll be good to go.

Here's some pics of the piping.

Regards

Sean

sdw
10-03-2011, 02:52 AM
Well finished 99% of the wiring. Put the lights on and got one fender on. connected all the intercooler tubing too.

Will do the other fender and the front bumper tomorrow if it's not raining too hard and set the hood on properly.

Then it's battery and then will just have to find someone to weld the exhaust for me.

He's a picture of my lighting relay (just need one more 2 to 1 spade connector, engine bay in it's current state, a pic with the fender on and a pic of the power steering filler tube mod I did to accommodate the intercooler piping. You can see the dipstick installed in the engine bay pic.

Regards

Sean

David Neibert
10-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Looks good. Why is there a hose in the power steering fill cap ?

David

sdw
10-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Too route the lower intercooler piping the way i did the power steering filler top was in the way.

I had an extra broken one so I cut the tube off flush, cut the dipstick down which I then pushed into the hole sealing it off.

I filled the pump with fluid but because I had removed the rack I think I can't get enough fluid in until the car starts and the pump starts working. This created a problem since I can't fill the pump with the intercooler piping in place but can't start the car without the intercooler piping in place.

So I decided to add a fill pipe. I had some left over fuel hose when I rebuilt the fuel rail so I drill a hole in the cap and inserted the hose. It is a nice tight fit so I don't expect a leak.

I had an old dipstick so I measured the length against the new power cap I have and trimmed the old dipstick to length.

My thinking is to put power steering fluid into a squeeze bottle and squeeze it into the hose. Maybe not the best solution but it did allow me to use the piping I had and use my somewhat limited modification skills.

I drilled a hole in the shock tower cap and taped one of those barbed thingys to the hose to hold the tube in place.

Regards

Sean

Scott Long
10-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Is there a BHJ balancer on that engine?

sdw
10-03-2011, 04:31 PM
No.

It is a new Dorman unit with the original pulley on it.

Regards

Sean

sdw
10-03-2011, 11:53 PM
It's getting closer and closer.

Put the fenders on and the front bumper.

Will put the battery in tomorrow and then just little bits of things and the exhaust.

Sean

sdw
10-28-2011, 12:03 AM
Still plugging away.

Finished up in the interior with the exception of vacuuming the carpet.

Washed the trunk carpet and put that back in after draining the swimming pool I had back there.

Filled the engine with fluids, found out there is an antifreeze drain plug in the block. :o

Didn't lose too much antifreeze though.

Installed the new belts. Hopefully there's no problem there.

Still have to finish the exhaust. After looking at Chris' pictures of his install I'm convinced the Mandrel Bent Exhaust forward section is for the old style manifolds so I have an email to them asking what they need to make one for the new style exhaust manifolds.

Ordered an M27 bolt to plug the EGR hole in the manifold so that will be done on Saturday.

Am going to use some plastic piping for spacers where the front fender tabs attach since the front mount gets in the way a little.

Plus have a job interview tomorrow so hopefully that goes well so should be able to turn the key within the month. fingers crossed.

Regards

Sean