PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Time!!

CMac89
06-02-2011, 12:40 AM
I've been fighting a problem with the motor cutting out at random RPMs. Yesterday, I found that the yellow/green tracer wire at the DIS was broken in half and just rubbing together. I soldered that and it fixed a lot of small problems I was having.

Anyways, I mounted up a set of free Hoosier radial slicks (30x9) and hit the track up. I started out running 15PSI and 12 degrees of timing. My first pass, I bogged it way too much and ran a 12.66 at 121.41 MPH. Then I tried richening the motor up and it started to stumble, in high gear, but it didn't bog or anything and netted an 11.84 at 120.89 MPH.

For some reason, my car is running 2 degrees less timing that what I command. I know I have some timing being pulled whenever the ACTs get to 150 degrees and ECTs get to 190 degrees. So I turned the timing up to 14 degrees and turned the boost up from 15PSI to 21PSI.

This run, it bogged again, but started getting down the track a lot better. It was a little sketchy, but managed to pull off an 11.31 at 130.07 MPH with a measly 2.100 60 foot.

I was pretty excited, so after this run I went for one more PSI and put my game face on for a better 60 foot. I couldn't get the tires to spin so I was just using a lot of RPM and slipping the clutch to get it to leave. I managed to pull a 1.70 60 foot, but broke the yoke of the driveshaft off inside of the transmission. It didn't break until I completely let off of the clutch, which seems to be after the 60 foot. Thank god for driveshaft loops!! That 60 foot was four tenths faster than the previous run, so I'm more than sure I was on a 10 second run.

The car broke on good terms, so I'm not upset. I'm on borrowed time with stock parts anyways.:) Workin the bugs out of this thing, so things can only get better and they are.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa258/CMac455/IMAG0282.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa258/CMac455/IMAG0280.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa258/CMac455/IMAG0281.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa258/CMac455/IMAG0279.jpg

Kurt K
06-02-2011, 12:48 AM
11.3 @ 130.....nice!:D

David Neibert
06-02-2011, 08:00 AM
Nice progress Casey.

David

super red91
06-02-2011, 08:19 AM
Congrats! Time to upgrade brakes now, stopping from 130+ with stock brakes must not be all that cool.

XR7 Dave
06-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Good job on holding it together (mostly). :D Little impatient, aren't you? :p

CMac89
06-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Here's a picture of the damage. I would post a datalog, but the file's too big.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa258/CMac455/IMAG0284.jpg

XR7 Dave
06-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Here's a picture of the damage. I would post a datalog, but the file's too big.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa258/CMac455/IMAG0284.jpg

Looks almost exactly like mine... :(

Toms-SC
06-02-2011, 11:05 AM
It was a little sketchy,

This made me laugh out loud. Nice run's dude.

super red91
06-02-2011, 11:22 AM
What exactly do you plan on doing about the shaft? I would assume you could get one made but would probably pay over $700, then the next weak link would break.

Hmm?

BLOWN38
06-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Thats pretty decent.:rolleyes: You got money now fix the driveshaft.

For the log what I did was open it in excel or whatever and delete the stuff you don't need then resave it to make it smaller.

Mike8675309
06-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Nice results. For logs you can get a google docs account, upload the spreadsheet there, then share it out and post the link. Folks can then go there and look at it and I think download it.

Stock yoke and driveshaft?

CMac89
06-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Yeah, it has a stock yoke and driveshaft. I'll try to do the Google document thing.

I'm not sure what I want to do. I think I just want to piece it back together and weld it. Then I can run the car on jack stands and weld nuts on each end of the driveshaft to balance it.

CMac89
06-02-2011, 01:32 PM
I thought if I zoomed and saved, using LiveLink, then it would cut everything else out. It wouldn't so here's 1.6 MB worth of datalog. Forgot to turn it off until I got back to the pits.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av_ptGhijNm1dEFEaTYySGRmT3NFbk9yTE9RczRuS nc&hl=en_US#gid=0

Ira R.
06-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Great job! And now we have a new quickest five speed in town!! :D :(

Ira R..

kenewagner
06-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Great job! And now we have a new quickest five speed in town!! :D :(

Ira R..

Were you starting to feel under pressure being the king of manuals:D:D

XR7 Dave
06-02-2011, 09:46 PM
I think he's leaving quite a bit on the table. I look forward to seeing him inch forward (hopefully, as opposed to lifting the heads again) raising the bar significantly, not so much for SC's specifically but for the 3.8/4.2 block motor in general. I think the stuff we've been watching others do with their motors has been misleading.

kenewagner
06-03-2011, 08:05 AM
I think its cool Casey raised the bar. I have watched it go higher, it seems every year. Pretty soon my car will be considered old and slow like me;) Now what ever happened to corey:confused::D

Ken

David Neibert
06-03-2011, 09:44 AM
I think he's leaving quite a bit on the table. I look forward to seeing him inch forward (hopefully, as opposed to lifting the heads again) raising the bar significantly, not so much for SC's specifically but for the 3.8/4.2 block motor in general. I think the stuff we've been watching others do with their motors has been misleading.

What has been misleading, please be more specific ?

David

ricardoa1
06-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Very kick-azz. Congrats. 11s from that car should be all day long when you find a way of keeping it together. Keith Stone is going to be very angry when I tell him about a turbo car kicking butt on the Internets.

neverfastenough
06-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Im in a slum:rolleyes:. I have no tires and my usual track is closed up for good AFAIK. Plus reassembly of my car is still in progress. Casey is putting up some hard to be times and it could have easily went 10's that night.

CMac89
06-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Very kick-azz. Congrats. 11s from that car should be all day long when you find a way of keeping it together. Keith Stone is going to be very angry when I tell him about a turbo car kicking butt on the Internets.

Thanks, man. You mean 10s? It already does 11s all day long. Would have loved the driveshaft to stay together. Would have ran a solid 10 second run.

Ira R.
06-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Were you starting to feel under pressure being the king of manuals:D:D

Nah, I'm surprised it lasted this long. Just plain dumb luck is all. lol

Guess we'll have to put Kasey in the car sometime and find out what it can really run though. Uhh, no wait, he breaks things. Maybe doubledee. I remember what he did with a certain red car last year and he was still being gentle with it lol

Ira R.

ricardoa1
06-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Thanks, man. You mean 10s? It already does 11s all day long. Would have loved the driveshaft to stay together. Would have ran a solid 10 second run.

Yeah I meant 10s, 11s was stuck to my head as usual since thats all hope for from my car. You could probably do 9s if you wanted to if you turned it up some more. But one step at a time I guess. Def in a legue of your own now. Get them Auto boys :D

ricardoa1
06-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Nah, I'm surprised it lasted this long. Just plain dumb luck is all. lol

Guess we'll have to put Kasey in the car sometime and find out what it can really run though. Uhh, no wait, he breaks things. Maybe doubledee. I remember what he did with a certain red car last year and he was still being gentle with it lol

Ira R.

I usually add more power to compensate for the driver mod. Car cant drive itself unless the owner drives it. :D I def cant compete with that....130MPH is hauling no matter how you slice it even if they are spooling at the line.

Miller
06-03-2011, 04:43 PM
YEAAAAAAAAAA BUDDY! get me someadem free slicks too!

DrFishbone
06-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Nice work Casey! :cool:

CMac89
06-03-2011, 06:58 PM
The car gets out of the hole pretty well. I botched that 11.31 run. The turbo stays spooled just fine.

If you look at it, the car only picked up 28 MPH, in the last half of the track. My race car picks up 27-29 MPH in the last half of the track, and it's a very efficient car. If you look at other SC's time slips, you'll see they have a similar gain. If the turbo was just lagging or inefficient, on short track, then I would have an unorthodox MPH ratio. Using a 3.75 first gear and a 2.32 second gear, it isn't a very efficient gear set up for the 1/8th mile portion of the track. It's just the silly transmission.

What's the best 5-speed 60 foot time so far? I'm at 1.70 without a 2-step/timing retard, so it may only get better.

XR7 Dave
06-03-2011, 10:07 PM
That's pretty decent. I used to pull 1.69's spinning in first and second. I had way too much gear though.

Mike8675309
06-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Here is the pertinent part of his run in csv.
In 3rd gear, it took about .7 seconds to gain 500 rpm from 4500 to 5000rpm
it took about 1.13 seconds to gain 500 rpm from 6000 to 6500rpm
by the last few hundred rpm before you let off, you were gaining 500 rpm at a rate of about 1.43 seconds.

One thing you can look at with your log is the time to reach various rpm points. that along with your dyno curve can help you pick the best shift points to favor forward velocity.

CMac89
06-03-2011, 11:43 PM
Thanks for doin that, Mike. I have timing being pulled at 150 degree ACTs and it went beyond that at high third gear, which is three degrees of timing.

Dave, I thought about gearing, but it would force me to shift into fourth and it wouldn't go through the traps at a good RPM. It's kind of just T56 time.

Ira R.
06-04-2011, 09:51 AM
What's the best 5-speed 60 foot time so far? I'm at 1.70 without a 2-step/timing retard, so it may only get better.

Don't know that it's the best but I've got a 1.631 on the ET Streets.

Ira

XR7 Dave
06-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Dave, I thought about gearing, but it would force me to shift into fourth and it wouldn't go through the traps at a good RPM. It's kind of just T56 time.

I wasn't trying to imply that the gears helped. It was too much gear and forced me to shift before the 60ft mark meaning that I was shifting before I had even hooked up. Having another 1500rpm would have helped a bunch too. ;)

I agree about trans time, that was one of the reasons I stopped trying after that point is because I knew that there were no decent gear options available and didn't really want to go back after it until I solved that problem. I'm getting closer..... I got John's T56 fit up, just waiting on a driveshaft.

CMac89
06-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Well that's pretty cool. I wish you would have done the 26 spline input shaft to knock all of the research time out for me.:D I want to stay with a stick. It's just different and not popular among the SC high performance crowd.

On a different note, I've been thinkin about selling my single turbo setup and building a twin turbo. I'm bored and need to build something.:)

nickleman60
06-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Nice run Casey, now run a low 10...........:D

CMac89
06-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Thanks, Keif!!

Here's a better picture.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa258/CMac455/IMAG0285.jpg

XR7 Dave
06-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Well that's pretty cool. I wish you would have done the 26 spline input shaft to knock all of the research time out for me.:D I want to stay with a stick. It's just different and not popular among the SC high performance crowd.

Um, it IS a 26 spline input. :confused:

CMac89
06-04-2011, 02:30 PM
OOooOOoOo!! I just remembering hearing about the consideration of a 10 spline, from a Cobra. Bad assumption, on my part!

XR7 Dave
06-04-2011, 03:59 PM
OOooOOoOo!! I just remembering hearing about the consideration of a 10 spline, from a Cobra. Bad assumption, on my part!

Well, these are LS1 transmissions and so it's a combination of GM and Ford parts to use the SC flywheel and a GM disc, that's all.

Ira R.
06-04-2011, 06:51 PM

[thumbs up] :D who wants to be popular??...... lol

kenewagner
06-04-2011, 07:25 PM
You guys make it sound like auto guys are the only game in town for performance. You guys all make a zillion hp more on the dyno. It's almost like you all have a complex or something. Do work and set some records;).

Ken

CMac89
06-05-2011, 02:03 AM
You guys make it sound like auto guys are the only game in town for performance. You guys all make a zillion hp more on the dyno. It's almost like you all have a complex or something. Do work and set some records;).

Ken

Well, there are very few manual guys for the reason that it's just more consistent and easier to run quick ETs, with an auto, for any given HP. Everything that I own is unique and different in some way; it's just the way I am. I bought an SC because nobody has anything like it around here. Now that I'm in an SC gang, there are only a few things I can do to be a little different and that's to have a 10 or even one day a 9 second SC with a manual transmission. Could be a little over-zealous about it, but to each his own, right?:):)

David Neibert
06-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Well, there are very few manual guys for the reason that it's just more consistent and easier to run quick ETs, with an auto, for any given HP. Everything that I own is unique and different in some way; it's just the way I am. I bought an SC because nobody has anything like it around here. Now that I'm in an SC gang, there are only a few things I can do to be a little different and that's to have a 10 or even one day a 9 second SC with a manual transmission. Could be a little over-zealous about it, but to each his own, right?:):)

Casey,

A Liberty planetary manual transmission would real different. BTW, have you built a roll bar for this car yet ?

David

Ira R.
06-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Casey,

A Liberty planetary manual transmission would real different. BTW, have you built a roll bar for this car yet ?

David

Now this is funny. I'm sorry but I can't help it; Mr. I'mneverputtingarollbarinthecar even though he's already running 10's asking Casey if he did?? Now THAT'S funny! lol :D

Ira

CMac89
06-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Casey,

David
No, not yet. I'm planning on getting another car to swap everything into. This car is rusted out and may cost more to fix the rust than just to buy a different car. I would be wasting money and time if I put a cage in this car.

One day I'll be able to throw $8500 down on a transmission.

kenewagner
06-05-2011, 06:36 PM

Well I think you represent Thunderbirds just fine, turbo, manual and all. Would love to see 10s from your car. Doesnt even bother me to be in your rear view mirror:D. I still think I can take Corey though on ET:D

Ken

shoalcracker
06-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Ken

You must have been of chef in a past life.

You just keep stirring the pot.

Paul

David Neibert
06-06-2011, 11:35 PM
Now this is funny. I'm sorry but I can't help it; Mr. I'mneverputtingarollbarinthecar even though he's already running 10's asking Casey if he did?? Now THAT'S funny! lol :D

Ira

Ira,

I'm planning to put one in the turbo car prior to the Shootout. Since the install has been delayed and we have no local track, I'm starting to have second thoughts. Seeing guys like Chris and Keith add roll bars, was getting me motivated, but now I'm starting to think it's a bad idea for a car that almost never gets raced. Just looking for some more motivation ...:o

David

XR7 Dave
06-07-2011, 01:43 AM
I think a roll bar is cool and it will help the car launch better. You'll get better traction, even on the street. My big thing is the bar has to be out of the way of me and my big head while driving. George's bar comes to mind when I think like that. His isn't NHRA legal, but he gets the other benefits of having the bar without infringing on his cockpit area.

Toms-SC
06-07-2011, 12:31 PM
With cages becoming the new 'thing' for the SC crowd I'd love to see somebody come up with a proper 'kit' for it. Pretty much a box of pre-bent tubing that can be welded together.

Ira R.
06-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Ira,

I'm planning to put one in the turbo car prior to the Shootout. Since the install has been delayed and we have no local track, I'm starting to have second thoughts. Seeing guys like Chris and Keith add roll bars, was getting me motivated, but now I'm starting to think it's a bad idea for a car that almost never gets raced. Just looking for some more motivation ...:o

David

Hey I understand completely. I have all the fixin's in the garage and have yet to get anything done to the car this year, let alone a roll bar I'm still not consistently in need of!

But I am convinced it has to go in and no particular order here's a few reasons why: (feel free to add your own smiley after each reason)
1. It makes everyone on the street wonder what you've done.
2. It makes everyone on the street nuts when the find out it's a fully legal daily drivable 6 cyl.
3. If affords you the opportunity to just kick it, leave a little tire behind and make them wonder even more.
1. If you're going fast enough it makes it legal at the track. (well maybe).
2. If you're going fast enough it makes it safer! This one's a biggie.
3. Even if you're not going fast enough it looks really cool! (see #1-3)
4. It will add to the stability of the car which should improve results.
5. There won't be room in the back seat for hardly anyone, and so....
6. I don't ever have to explain to someone ever again why it's only a 2 seater.
7. It will make my wife feel better! (This should probably be #1)
8. When the wife feels better I feel better.
9. When I feel better the car goes faster. lol

Okay okay but you get the idea lol
Just do it.

Ira

Toms-SC
06-07-2011, 12:37 PM
7. It will make my wife feel better! (This should probably be #1)
8. When the wife feels better I feel better.

Okay okay but you get the idea lol
Just do it.

Ira

Those two points are pretty big. Safety is a huge thing. I'd hate to hear of a accident happening with these new insanely fast SC's we have rolling out this year.

Ira R.
06-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Those two points are pretty big. Safety is a huge thing. I'd hate to hear of a accident happening with these new insanely fast SC's we have rolling out this year.

I have to tell you that this is really the part that concerns me. We're seeing quicker and quicker 60' times and the cars are just jumping off the line.

These are big old heavy cars and they tend to get squir'ly (sp?) sometimes. All you have to do is look at the sideways slide I did off the line last year. (I can't find the shot but if Sally's around I know she has it). It wasn't just a little bit either.

If I hadn't been able to correct that there is no telling which way the car may have gone.

Ira

nickleman60
06-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Ira,

David

David,
As fast as your turbo is car is to me it's a no brainer. God forbid anything would ever happen but going 140 mph plus ain't chicken feed. As for your '91, to me once again it's a no brainer with it running 10's (and it will) but I can understand you not wanting to.

Ira R.
06-08-2011, 07:13 AM
Ira,

David

Motivation.............?

<C>http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n161/irar_6971081/1995%20SC/DSC_4915.jpg</C>

David Neibert
06-08-2011, 10:51 AM
I don't worry about starting line stuff, because I'm not moving fast enough to get in serious trouble. I worry about stuff like blowing a radiator hose because of a leaking headgasket or blowing an oil line to the remote mounted filter or turbo at 100 mph, and losing control when coolant/oil hits the rear tires.

David

Toms-SC
06-08-2011, 06:05 PM
So it is agreed. David will get a cage for the turbo car.

David Neibert
06-09-2011, 02:46 PM
So it is agreed. David will get a cage for the turbo car.

Sorta...No cage, I'm doing a 6 point roll bar.

David

Toms-SC
06-09-2011, 05:20 PM

David

Would love to see a vendor turn this into a kit.

BLOWN38
06-09-2011, 09:39 PM

David

Its really not that bad. Just have to remember to have everything within grasp in a upright seat position before you lock the harness down. Or have someone handy at all times.

Would love to see a vendor turn this into a kit.

S&W has a kit. I mildly modified it to let my seats fold down. And its very cheap. You just need someone to install it.

Toms-SC
06-10-2011, 01:37 AM
S&W has a kit. I mildly modified it to let my seats fold down. And its very cheap. You just need someone to install it.

There are 3 different tube thickness, which did you go for?

CMac89
06-10-2011, 09:18 AM
There are 3 different tube thickness, which did you go for?

Minimum SFI thickness is .083" wall, so the one closest to that.

BLOWN38
06-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Just got the thick mild steel 199 dollar package. Sorry we're jacking your thread, but you sold the turbo so I guess its dead anyhow.:)
http://home.comcast.net/~nvmyv8/carlisle2011/8.jpg

Toms-SC
06-10-2011, 05:14 PM
You did a really good job on the interior of that car.

ScrapSC
07-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Ahh well guess I will have to jump in on the 6 point cage deal. Mine will be fun to set up with my big a$$ sitting so far back. I also want to do the swing out bar so I can get all of me in and out easier!!!

neverfastenough
07-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Just got the thick mild steel 199 dollar package. Sorry we're jacking your thread, but you sold the turbo so I guess its dead anyhow.:)
http://home.comcast.net/~nvmyv8/carlisle2011/8.jpg

Whats the model on those seats

BLOWN38
07-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Whats the model on those seats

Not sure I'll see if I can figure it out for you. I bought em used. They are pretty comfy.

EDIT They are the TRS cloth non wide.

The A4 may be a good choice because its lower profile. My helmet is close to the roof on my sunroof car. With out the sunroof I think you gain 1 1/2" of headroom. But I also don't have the brackets for the t bird. I made the mustang ones that came with my seats work.