Any advice guys?

Nando559

I currently have my car taken apart from the top down to the intake manifold. The manifold is covered in rust where the water runs threw. Is there a way to clean it? Any other things I should check or do while the car is like this?

You could take it to a machine shop to hot tank it .. how does the Head side look ?

- Dan

If its bumpy, flakey rust you could have a problem. If its more like a thin powder orange coating I would not but too worried. Like the Ddub said, do a flush and put in a high quality anit freeze mix.

Why did you take it apart?

Plugs and wires good?

Any leaking at the valve cover gaskets?

How about the water pump? All dry?

here is a procedure if you wana try it, it works wonders on rust. but..... you will have to test it on aluminum...

take a large garbage can, fill with water enough to cover the part, then add "borax" laundry soap to the water just to the point where no more can be disolved in the water anymore. you do not want solids (powder) floating in water.

then get a metal rod, place metal rod in side of tank and solution you made, stainless steel works good, or just a piece of straight clean metal. DO NOT LET THIS ROD TOUCH THE PART YOU ARE TRYING TO CLEAN....!!!!!

then take a very large battery charger that stays on all the time. i think a min 40 amps is good but see what yours does, hook positive to rod on side, and neg to the part you car cleaning. turn on battery charger and observe. Depending on the amps you are using you will see bubbles come to surface, those are hydrogen gas, so do not do this in a garage unless you dont like your house. ha ha

after a short while you will see paint, rust, and other non metal parts come to surface and come off the part you are cleaning.

NOW I SAY AGAIN METALS ARE DIFFERENT, ALUMINUM WILL NEED MORE SUPERVISION THAN SAY A CAST IRON INTAKE!!!!

this works good and I have done this many times, but the waste is troublesome as you change the water/soap into something not desirable for well anything when you are done.

good luck

just take it to a machine shop and have it hot tanked..

If its bumpy, flakey rust you could have a problem. If its more like a thin powder orange coating I would not but too worried. Like the Ddub said, do a flush and put in a high quality anit freeze mix.

Why did you take it apart?

Plugs and wires good?

Any leaking at the valve cover gaskets?

How about the water pump? All dry?

Its not flaky, just looks like orange powder and it doesn't rub off.

I'm going to sound stupid but I took it off because one of the thermostat bolts broke off when I was replacing it. I tried many different things to take it out(even let pops try his methods) but nothing worked! So I just took the intake manifold off. I got the broken bolt out!:D

Plugs and wires are a week old.:cool:

Valve covers aren't leaking so I plan on just leaving them alone.

water pump is not leaking at all. Its about 5 years old but the car had been parked the past 4 years. Should I worry about it not being good because the car was parked such a long time??:confused:

-Fernando

here is a procedure if you wana try it, it works wonders on rust. but..... you will have to test it on aluminum...

take a large garbage can, fill with water enough to cover the part, then add "borax" laundry soap to the water just to the point where no more can be disolved in the water anymore. you do not want solids (powder) floating in water.

then get a metal rod, place metal rod in side of tank and solution you made, stainless steel works good, or just a piece of straight clean metal. DO NOT LET THIS ROD TOUCH THE PART YOU ARE TRYING TO CLEAN....!!!!!

then take a very large battery charger that stays on all the time. i think a min 40 amps is good but see what yours does, hook positive to rod on side, and neg to the part you car cleaning. turn on battery charger and observe. Depending on the amps you are using you will see bubbles come to surface, those are hydrogen gas, so do not do this in a garage unless you dont like your house. ha ha

after a short while you will see paint, rust, and other non metal parts come to surface and come off the part you are cleaning.

NOW I SAY AGAIN METALS ARE DIFFERENT, ALUMINUM WILL NEED MORE SUPERVISION THAN SAY A CAST IRON INTAKE!!!!

this works good and I have done this many times, but the waste is troublesome as you change the water/soap into something not desirable for well anything when you are done.

good luck

just take it to a machine shop and have it hot tanked..

this sounds a little too risky for me. I dont have a spare intake manifold in case I screw up and ruin the original one. Thanks for the suggestion tho!

-Fernando

Back