SC vs turbo question

MtDewd

I noticed someone having a boost controller on their SC. I was wondering how that worked. Does it control a wastegate like a turbo has? Is there some sort of wastegate on the supercharger system that can be manipulated to control boost?

NO.

Many folks commonly mistake the Boost Recirculation valve for a "wastegate".

All the recirculated valve does is allow fresh air to enter the intake when throttle position is at idle or light cruising.

When heavier throttle applications are applied, the vacuum drains away from the valve actuator closing the internal plunum valve, this allows the boost (that is constantly being produced by the belt driven supercharger) to now be fully routed to the intake manifold.

A "wastegate" operates similarly but it controls the amount of exahuast gas passing over the hot side turbine of a turbocharger, thus regulating the speed of the turbo and the related amout of boost it produces.

A boost controller is a fancy peice of electronics that will alter the vacuum going to the wastegate and allow it to stay closed longer to allow the turbo to spin faster and make more boost to blow more head gaskets.

As far as I know, A boost controller wouldn't work properly on a SC since there is no way to "increase" boost unless you spin the supercharger faster. And the only way to do that is with overdrive pullies.

Back