John Deere Hy Gard and AOD's??

rzimmerl

I am planning to drain my trans and change the filter shortly and I know quite a few of you have mentioned using John Deere Hy Gard hydraulic and transmission fluid. What the advantages and disadvantages..... lower temps, firmer shifts, compatible with all transmission parts??

I am planning to drain my trans and change the filter shortly and I know quite a few of you have mentioned using John Deere Hy Gard hydraulic and transmission fluid. What the advantages and disadvantages..... lower temps, firmer shifts, compatible with all transmission parts??
I'll let Alan chime in with the specifics, but I have been running it in my transmission (per his recommendation after he rebuilt it) for several years. Yes, it does seem to run cooler.

There isn't much compatibility problem. Typically I tell people to buy the mystik equivalent. I do suggest using it for a race trans, the life isn't as good as atf but if you need the stall reduction it works great. If you are happy with the stall or wish it were higher I suggest a good synthetic fluid. Some people run it 50/50 with atf.
Alan

Interesting, on using the HyGuard.

Currently doing some work for Deere. The fluid is mostly a good quality mineral oil with some ZDP added for hydraulic pump wear, and a few minor chemicals. It does increase in viscosity significantly at cold temps. Deere does have a low temperature version for sustained cold temperature use.

It is a good quality hydraulic fluid.

Around here I purchase Wolfs head brand synthetic multi vehicle atf. In North Carolina a buddy of mine gets a similar product made by wynn's. I am not big on the mobil one as I think it is not quite as good and twice the price. I like the deep red color of the stuff I buy it makes checking the fluid level easy. Clear fluids are hard to check.
Alan

Back