The balancer bolt...yay!

engineman123

So my balancer bolt broke off, luckily i was going through a parking lot and heard something fall off and stopped it before anymore damage occured. I am looking into the differant replacement balancers, and i know the $400 are the best ones....but how good are the OEM replacements?? I dont have the money right now to do a $400 balancer, but i can do the $130. How long will they last me. As long as i can get the bolt out and balancer off, what are my chances like if i go with a OEM replacement and new bolt? Will it go again, or will it last me a while??

chances are if you get a new (oem quality) replacment it should last a nice long time, press it on with the tools required and torque the bolt to specs. no more.

has anyone looked into a different bolt, like arp or something? they sell harmonic balancer bolts for mustangs, and other cars, so maybee they have a physically stronger bolt.

OEM one has last how many years? Could probably expect the same out of the next one.

As far as the bolt use the stock one which can be had from scp I believe. Bill evanoff will get you one. Otherwise the damage would be done to the crank.

good, i didnt want to go shell out the money for one and it go out in a few weeks. I was going to look into the better bolts, or even heat treat one myself and make her a little stronger.

I had the same prob got a new hb from eBay got her back together and got maybe 10 miles down the road and the new bolt broke off and sure enough after the tow home took it apart and the hb snapped right at the neck I didn't have the money either but didn't want the Same bull s### to happen again so I got the bhj hope to have her back on the road in a couple weeks

Just a cautionary note for those buying used BHJ.

Depending on the timing of the install, some shops assemble the motor balanced, get the BHJ and externally balance them.

I bought mine used and it was out 14 grams when balanced to the rest of the reciprocating mass.

Paul

Another note....

When installing a used balancer, use the proper tool to push the balancer onto the the crankshaft.....

If you try tapping it with a mallet or hammer, you WILL risk knocking it out of alignment.....:eek:

This elongates the inside fit of the balancer and weakens the neck of the balancer.....

I've reused the same balancer on three different engines....

good, i didnt want to go shell out the money for one and it go out in a few weeks. I was going to look into the better bolts, or even heat treat one myself and make her a little stronger.

The bolt doesn't need additional strength, and if it breaks it's because the balancer is shot. BTW..You want the bolt to fail, instead of the crankshaft snout.

David

yeah id much rather replace the bolt than the crank. Is there any luck with used stock balancers, i have a guy wanting to sell me one but it scares me the fact im gonna be back in this situation when it goes out too.

i bought a used one once it lasted about a year on my 5 speed and fell off then i got a good bhj . i think doorman makes one cheaper nowadays

yeah id much rather replace the bolt than the crank. Is there any luck with used stock balancers, i have a guy wanting to sell me one but it scares me the fact im gonna be back in this situation when it goes out too.

Sometimes they last years, sometimes a couple months. Depends on what condition the elostomer ring is in, and how tight the aluminum hub fits the crankshaft. Using a netural balanced aluminum crank pulley instead of the stock stamped steel pulley will help.

David

Back