Power steering pump possibilities....

Hock

Ever since I put the front mount IC on my SC I have been thinking about how to get around the new issue of having to remove the IC tubes just to check and fill the power steering. Today I went to the junk yard to look around and see what may work when I found an '05 V6 Explorer. I has a remote mounted reservoir and a bolt on pulley. The mounting flange pattern is different but looks like that can be overcome with an adapter. I think that a stock pulley could be modified to work with that pump though I still have to pull the spare that I have to see how it might work out.

What I'm not sure about is whether or not this pump would be able to handle the work. Any insight or thoughts on this would be nice.

I have been working on something similar for awhile. The pumps from the 4.6 engine is very quiet. The pulley from an 01 and probably 97-03 f150 is a 8 rib that will work with the belt setup. Also since the later tbirds had the 4.6 you can use the high pressure line from that application. I cut off the entire section that mounts the current pump, but that's as far as I've gotten. If interested I will post pics

I was looking at the pumps for the 4.6 and they didn't look like they would work out too well. Post the pics of where you at, maybe we could try to work on this together.

I was kicking around the same idea. I am running a 6 rib belt because it cleared my lower hose when i deleted my p/s. I was looking for something that would fit where my a/c was. Or where my alternator is and move it to the a/c location. Problem is that the pulley would have to be smaller so i need 1 that spins faster.

To clear the hood. If i remember when i was messing with it last winter, at tha a/c height the pulley was too tall.

Let me correct that. The alternator location the pulley was too tall. Ideally, a separate reservoir would be needed for both locations. I wanted to put mine in the alternator location because the plumbing is on that side. I do think the fit would be easier on the a/c side.

here are a couple pics of the bracket and pump. i will post pics of them installed later. i am having trouble finding all the parts.

Attachments

• 100_0974.jpg
    100_0974.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 100_0975.jpg
    100_0975.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 142
Has anyone swapped out power steering pumps? I just was hoping there are other options becides the stock pump. I seem to always have bad luck with different pumps, they always leak from the pump and are very loud.

Back