What's a complete rear end worth?

mr_josh

I realize these "what's it worth?" threads are kind of annoying, but I am getting all kinds of numbers and I'm hoping that you folks can give me a little level-headed advice.

I parted a '93 LX V8 car a few years ago with a TracLoc 8.8 and 3.09 (I think... whatever the Tbird 3.0x ratio was) rear gears. Disc brakes / ABS. Took the entire rear subframe + attached pieces.

Question is: how much is the whole rear subframe / diff / suspension / brakes worth if the diff is in good shape? How much if it's junk? I never even opened the housing, just dropped it out of the car, sent the shell to the junk yard, and covered up the whole works with a tarp. This weekend I plan to at least pull the cover and see how things look inside, then put it up on Craigslist.

Guys on CL in my area always have these things listed @ ~$300 ("great for your hotrod project!" they always say) and I can't believe people are actually paying that for them.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Guys on CL in my area always have these things listed @ ~$300 ("great for your hotrod project!" they always say)
QUOTE]

I would say you answered your own question. They might not actually get $300 but that would be my starting point. Next time one comes up for $300 call them up and see if they would take $150 or $200 to maybe see what they're actually selling for. I would start at $300.
You could also go to ffcars.com and see if anyones looking for some parts, the factory five roadsters have an independant rear option based off of the tbird's rear.
The gear is 3.08, other common ratios are 2.73 and 3.27.
Used traction lok pumpkins by themselves usually go for around $100 from what I've seen.

I have 2 of them in out of SC's in the garage.
One is going in my Torino and the other has a certain local non SC guy's name on it IF he ever decides to switch his 4.6 single leg to a posi!

As for the original question... $300 is a good starting point.
IF I was going to buy it from you... $150-200 would be ball park for me to buy. CASH TALKS! Especially if the buyer is going to come pick it up at your house. TOO big to ship economically!

Back