I know this is a super coupe forum but...

94tbirdlx

I know I don’t have a SC but I need a little help. I know they are very similar, but mine is missing the supercharger and a few other key parts… I’ve seen on the internet that they’re bad for head gaskets but are there any other problems these cars are notorious for? I have a 95 t-bird lx (3.8L NA, auto and 97K) that dropped into my lap for a rather cheap amount that I’m clueless about. I’ve only ever owned GM/Chrysler products. As of right now, I have driven it a little less than 2,000 miles and I had to put two front tires (cords were hanging out) and a leaking gas line. With that being said there is work on it needing done. I want to do a tune up with pulstar plugs, livewires/magnecore wires, accel coil pack and both pre and post o2 sensors. Does anyone else have any other thoughts/suggestions I should change while I’m at it? My check engine light is also on and I’m assuming it’s something along the line of a vacuum leak, or something with the throttle body but I’m not 100% either. When I’m at a stop sign for example and I go to start out it dogs out and sometimes it’ll stall. I have checked my gas mileage and to my surprise it averages 18-22 and I have a heavy right foot at times. I’m planning on also getting a shift kit/jmod, 3.73/4.11 gears, new shocks/struts/springs all around, possibly swapping hubs over to the mustangs (I have to use mustang rotors then right?) flow master exhaust and see how things go from there. Like I said I am new with these kinds of cars but I can get around a car pretty well. I’m just asking for some other peoples thoughts and if I’m headed in the right direction or not.

Any replies will be appreciated

Thanks again,
George

scan the check engine light for sure, that will give you an idea what the chugging issue is

could be as simple as picking up a can of mass air cleaner and cleaning the mass air flow sensor

I want to do a tune up with pulstar plugs, livewires/magnecore wires, accel coil pack and both pre and post o2 sensors. Does anyone else have any other thoughts/suggestions I should change while I’m at it? My check engine light is also on and I’m assuming it’s something along the line of a vacuum leak, or something with the throttle body but I’m not 100% either. When I’m at a stop sign for example and I go to start out it dogs out and sometimes it’ll stall. I have checked my gas mileage and to my surprise it averages 18-22 and I have a heavy right foot at times. I’m planning on also getting a shift kit/jmod, 3.73/4.11 gears, new shocks/struts/springs all around, possibly swapping hubs over to the mustangs (I have to use mustang rotors then right?) flow master exhaust and see how things go from there. Like I said I am new with these kinds of cars but I can get around a car pretty well. I’m just asking for some other peoples thoughts and if I’m headed in the right direction or not.

.. If you have a 94/95 3.8 with a Coil pack - its a California edition. The Federal emissions cars had a Distributor.

I would use factory Ford wires, and plugs. No reason to spend a whole lot of money when the factory stuff including the Coil pack is more than adequate ..

- Dan

Last edited:
Back