PDA

View Full Version : 12.9 at 107

Silenced
06-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Well there's your time to beat, Jason.

Adam and I took the kitty out to KCIR for some testing with my fancy Knock Sensor Earphones....

.... And let me tell you... The headphones I built were the best $20 I've spent. You can hear every little detail of what's going on in the motor, and pinging is a VERY obvious crackle that sands out from the rythmic patterns of the motor.

The bad news? The kitty is pinging. Not bad, but it's pinging. Who knew an unintercooled 4.6 would be knock limited at 12psi? lol.

I ended the night about 8* up top, 11.5AFR, still pinging slightly. At 3*, the charge mostly blows out the exhaust :(

I have ordered a 4GPH methanol nozzle to replace my 7GPH too large one. I may also make a few more revisions on the methanol kit's design. It's a retarded setup to begin with now that I know more about how things work. Same goes for the snow kit. I may go oldschool on this beast.

I think it's got a 12.5 in it with proper cooling and tuning. That's exactly what it was built to do, so it just comes to dialing it in now.

I'm kindof curious if it's the double platinum plugs I'm running... The SVT Lightnings use them, so I figure it's okay....

Dirtyd0g
06-11-2011, 10:29 PM
How much oil is is burning, many times they ping due to the oil. Transmission fluid in the oil will soften the seals and slow the oil consumption. I generally add a quart on every oil change on high mileage 4.6's then run 10w40. A 180 t-stat helps as well but I assume you already have that.
Alan

kpoindex08
06-12-2011, 12:02 PM
The headphones I built were the best $20 I've spent. You can hear every little detail of what's going on in the motor, and pinging is a VERY obvious crackle that sands out from the rythmic patterns of the motor.

Could you let me in on this! Did you document how you made them? How does it work? Do you just plug it up to the knock censor some how?

Silenced
06-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Could you let me in on this! Did you document how you made them? How does it work? Do you just plug it up to the knock censor some how?

When I get a bit more time, sure. The 4.6 knock sensor is a piezoelectric microphone, tuned to the frequency of the block's resonation. That way it can filter out other noise, and you only hear the frequencies that matter.

When there is a vibration of the piezo crystal, an AC current is generated. You can wire the leads to a male headphone jack, and run it through a headphone amp, such as a FiiO one off Amazon. From there, listen to the headphones.

IDK if the SC sensor is a Piezo mic or not, but you can always get a sensor from a different car. They are tuned to the bore of the motor, and the block's composition.

http://home.netcom.com/~bsundahl/knock/sound/KnockSounds.htm#Accel

kpoindex08
06-12-2011, 03:55 PM
It seems that your knock censor and mine are the same.

racecougar
06-12-2011, 11:01 PM
It's a retarded setup to begin with now that I know more about how things work. Same goes for the snow kit. I may go oldschool on this beast.

What kit are you running, and what's retarded about it?

seawalkersee
06-13-2011, 12:59 AM
He is still mad at it because he is running like 1/2 water/meth with his fuel and it is keeping him from revving all the way up. AS soon as he gets loaded down with the water, it only goes like 5500 rpm.

SWS

Silenced
06-13-2011, 09:42 AM
What kit are you running, and what's retarded about it?

http://upload.offensivex.com/images/waterinjec.jpg

Maybe the "New" snow kit interpolates power output between the "On" and "Full" settings... Haven't seen one yet that does.

On larger nozzles, lower pump speed does not atomize properly. "Verry horribly" would be a better description. This limits the total output, as a nozzle efficient at higher flow rates is unusable at lower flow.

The checkvalve in line is enough to prevent syphoning when in vacuum. Unfortunately, when injection starts, it does not act closely enough to a solonid and does not allow the output line to pressurize sufficiently in order to atomize the charge.

A step towards a "Real" system would be using multiple smaller nozzles, constant pump speed, and solonoids to ensure proper pressure for atomization. One step further would be a pressure bleed based on boost or preferably MAF flow so that injection volume can actually increase the air mass increases in volume.

seawalkersee
06-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Or....OR...you could just get an intercooler.

SWS

Silenced
06-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Or....OR...you could just get an intercooler.

SWS

Or....OR...I could run E85.... Or mix Toluene with my fuel.

The engine bay is full enough.

TSC89
06-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Very Nice Ryan.

Silenced
06-16-2011, 02:16 PM
The old methanol jet was siezed in the L shaped elbow anchoring it to the plenum. Tried every thing I can and eventually used a grinder to remove it. both pieces are now destroyed.

Silenced
06-17-2011, 09:28 AM
New methanol jet "Works". Can trigger highs and lows without stopping acceleration or bucking.