knock in supercharger?

steveos89xr7

I just recently put the 10 p overdrive pulley on and added meth injection. also i changed the charger fluid it had half of what should be in it! after pounding on it the charger makes a knock sound like something is loose in the main part, like something is rattling around at idle:eek:. after letting it idle for a bit it quiets down a little but you can definently hear it. Whats the problem here cause i know for a fact it didnt sound like this before these chages:confused:. doesnt sound to good.

If thats turns out to be ok then you may be looking at the rotor bearing being bad.

ive never had supercharger problems or noises in 250 k miles i think your motor blowed up but i hope and pray im wrong

ralph

Either way, don't be an idiot like my brother and drive the dang thing anyway. His was making a contiuous knock knock knock.... now it's been sitting around his house doing him no good. It'll start. But he can't drive it out of the driveway. It's a beautiful 95 too. Just a waste....

probably a connecting rod bearing spun now you may need a connecting rod a nd new bearings and new or redone crankshaft

was it low on oil or any other tell tale signs

ralph

when i blew mine up the power steering hose rubbed a hole in the oil filter and dumped all the oil . i heard the lifters collapsing and ticking but i kept driving like a dumb woman now i have to pull the motor and see how bad i broke it

ralph

Usually if the blower goes bad its the snout bearings, and that will create a marbles sound when it does. I've seen blowers with only 75000 miles on them start acting up.

Fraser

I rebuilt the snout in my blower, replaced the rear rotor bearings, and replaced the coupler with a solid one, and the blower rattles / knocks like crazy at idle. Off idle, it quiets right down. My best guess as to the source of the noise is very worn out front-side rotor bearings. I had the blower apart this past winter to install the coupler and reseal it. I noticed some play in the rotors, but thought it was tolerable. (I guess not. :eek:) Mine are not quite as bad as this.
http://www.youtube.com/user/vsl67#p/u/17/Ts3B9TMpwx8
http://www.youtube.com/user/vsl67#p/u/0/N_IXl_pT1SM

I was worried about it at first, but I have driven it for at least a year now like this and don't have any major problems.

I am still going to get it fixed ... but it's not at the top of my list. Even if it eventually wears out the case ... I have another case.

Remove the supercharger belt and see if the noise goes away.......

After that pull the blower apart and see what happened.

all the rebuildable parts can be bought from zzperformance.com. Same parts that the gtp m90 requires as far as bearings, seals, fluid, grease.

You need a press to replace the shaft bearings.

You can take the belt off and wiggle the pulley back and forth, their should be no play, if there is you need a coupler at least.

Chris

You can take the belt off and wiggle the pulley back and forth, their should be no play, if there is you need a coupler at least.

Chris

Don't forget that the coupler is spring-loaded on some of these cars ... which could be confused for play.

Back