Bad DIS?

tinman2540

The tach drops and the check engine light comes on just going down the road. A few miles later the tach comes back on and the check engine light turns off. Is this a DIS overheat issue, or something else completely?

Now it's not starting. It's very intermittent and doesn't matter if it's hot or cold, it turns over, starts fine, than I'll shut it off and no go. I'm getting a spark, but I can't figure this out. Tried replacing the crank position sensor, cam sensor and the coil, but the tachometer is still dieng.

Start inspecting grounds and connectors. Primarily the two grounds from the motor mounts to the body and solenoid. Replace if at all suspect.

ive never had trouble with dis or ecm in about 20 years of driving 2 supercoupes
mostly its crank sensor or harmonic balancer but 1 time it was cam sensor and one time it was battery terminal touching the hood on hard left turns from the sounds of your situation i would be looking at fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator

hope this helps
ralph

Last edited:
If you've replaced the crank and cam sensor, then I'd suspect the DIS. The 89-93 DIS modules are prone to overheating and causing problems like you're describing. I have 2 spares just in case because of the rep they have.

Fraser

See if you can't find another SC in your area and see if they can stop over. You can easily swap a DIS module and see if that cures it.

Back