Symptoms of a bad rack and pinion..

AB's91SC

Hey guys, so how can you tell if your rack and pinion is bad or going bad? This is what my 90SC is doing. When I turn left from a stand still my steering is way over assisted! I turn the wheel and practically stays there when I go. Turn to the right and feels somewhat normal, has some feel to it. I also notice when the car is stopped the steering wheel has a soft spot when moving it to the left. So I'm thinking my rack and pinion is going bad. No noise, no rattles. What do you all think?

Thanks guys.

Hey guys, so how can you tell if your rack and pinion is bad or going bad? This is what my 90SC is doing. When I turn left from a stand still my steering is way over assisted! I turn the wheel and practically stays there when I go. Turn to the right and feels somewhat normal, has some feel to it. I also notice when the car is stopped the steering wheel has a soft spot when moving it to the left. So I'm thinking my rack and pinion is going bad. No noise, no rattles. What do you all think?

Thanks guys.

I don't see what else it could be. You could try unplugging the electrical connector to the EVO port on the side of the PS pump, just to rule out an electrical issue with the variable-assist system. But it sounds like a leaky internal seal to me.

Back