Blower motor connector broken

johnwartjr

My 95 SC has a problem with its blower motor.

If I hit a good bump, it stops working.

Hit a good bump again, it starts working.

I pulled the glove box out, and wiggled the connector at the blower motor. Got a small shock, but the motor started working again for awhile. It's a 2 pin connector, orange and black wire. It appears the connector has lost tension, and will no longer stay tight.

So, what's the best fix? Hit the junkyard, get a pigtail and splice it in?

My 95 SC has a problem with its blower motor.

If I hit a good bump, it stops working.

Hit a good bump again, it starts working.

I pulled the glove box out, and wiggled the connector at the blower motor. Got a small shock, but the motor started working again for awhile. It's a 2 pin connector, orange and black wire. It appears the connector has lost tension, and will no longer stay tight.

So, what's the best fix? Hit the junkyard, get a pigtail and splice it in?

Just make sure the "new" one isn't also overheated and weakened.

Also, if you want to fix it right, you can pick up the 1/4" Faston connectors and replace the ones in the current end.

RwP

I took a couple pics while I had the glove box dropped.

Well, they aren't *good*, but they helped me identify the part, anyways.

The connector housing is melted in a couple spots, so I guess it needs replaced, regardless.

Should I worry about the contacts on the blower motor itself? The pigtail is $23 at NAPA, or a new 'will fit' blower motor is $30, if the contacts on the motor itself are likely trashed, it seems like spending the extra $7 and getting a new motor in the process is a good idea...

If necessary, how difficult is it to change the blower motor?

Just for an update, I installed a new blower motor last night. It took me about an hour, and that included 10 minutes of searching for my drop light and my 1/4 inch drive ratchet and socket set.

Tools I needed:

-7mm socket - for the 3 fasteners holding the glove box to the dash
-8mm socket - for all the fasteners holding the blower motor in, as well as a few control modules etc that I had to remove to get the blower motor out
-Small flat blade screwdriver, to release the small shock that dampens the glove box as it opens, and to remove the push nut holding the squirrel cage to the blower motor shaft
-Soldering iron, solder and heat shrink tubing - you could also use butt crimp connectors and a crimping tool
-New gasket or RTV silicone to make one

Procedure:
-Empty out glove box contents
-Remove 3 x 7mm fasteners holding glove box hinge to dash board
-Use small flat blade screwdriver to pry the clip on the shock on the right side of the glove box, so the shock will release the glove box
-Pull the left side of the glove box inward so it will clear the dash
-Remove the harness that runs from the control module to the blower motor on both ends. Set it aside.
-Remove the 8mm fasteners on the blower motor. I believe there were 4. You may also need to remove a few surrounding modules to get the blower motor clear of the dash. Pull blower motor towards you, and turn as needed to remove from the dash.
-Use the small screwdriver to carefully remove the push nut holding the squirrel cage to the old motor shaft. Make sure it doesn't fly away, and be careful so you can re-use it.
-Depending on how you are doing the wiring, you may need to clip the ends off the new motor and the harness you removed from the dash, and solder or butt crimp the ends together. If your original harness is in good shape, it will just plug into the new motor, or the new harness hanging off the motor, depending on what type of motor you get. Motorcraft, the plug just goes in the side of the motor. Aftermarket, there will be a pigtail coming off the motor that the harness plugs into, or that you cut and crimp/solder.
-Install your new gasket, or put a generous bead of RTV silicone around the flange on the new motor

-Reinstallation is the reverse of removal. Extra points if you don't have any fasteners left over when you're done, double extra points if everything works :)

Not only does my blower motor now work 100% of the time, it also blows harder than it did before.

I used Factory Air brand blower motor from Advance Auto Parts, P/N is 35348. Price was $29.99, no core charge. Advance always has great coupon codes, try google and you'll be surprised. I typically order online and pick up at my local store for that reason.

Back