Power window problem

johnwartjr

My drivers side power window goes part way up, then starts 'stuttering'.

I made a video of it in action, and uploaded it to Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn-KRTmB-Ak

I see posts about gears wearing out, but I wondered if that is what this really is? Or do I have a broken clip in the door?

Would like to source the correct parts before I take it apart, so I can do everything at once.

How hard are the door panels to remove?

Thanks!

I would say it is the check balls that are inside the gear. Also would help to spray some silicone in the felt of the window rails along the door there so it will help with lubrication.

I replaced my "check balls" aka window motor clutches with metal nuts of a similar diameter I had laying around. Remove door panel, remove speaker, remove motor, remove ground up plastic clutches inside motor, install nuts with grease, and reverse.

How difficult a job is it getting the motor out? Are they bolted in, or riveted in? If they are riveted, do you re-rivet them in, or would you recommend using small fasteners and locknuts?

Might be a good time to install my 97 door handles and new locks!

Every one I've seen was bolted in.

Hardest part is remembering the door panel doesn't PULL off, but LIFT off.

RwP

Finally took the time this past week to replace the drivers side window motor assy.

I went ahead and picked up a set of used working power window motors. Got the aftermarket gear assys. Cleaned both motors up. Cleaned the armature up with electronics cleaner, polished the commutators up with a green scotch brite pad. Inspected brushes, didn't need replaced. Cleaned out the gear case in the ultrasonic cleaner in my workshop. Although the motors worked fine, the plastic pegs connecting the 2 gears were cracked and ready to break.

Reassembled the works, regreased, installed in car. Easy as described. Will prob. get 2 more gears and rebuild the originals for future use.

Works great now :)

Although the motors worked fine, the plastic pegs connecting the 2 gears were cracked and ready to break.
Thats normal. Those plugs take the shock and break down thus allowing you to repair the gear case other than replacing the whole motor. Ive done this repair 1/2 dozen times. Its a good idea to lube the sliders and rail mechanism when you have to fix the motors too.

BTW.. Just noticed your signature line. I used to maintain an old twilight zone pinball game. Knew that that thing just about as well as my tbirds. :cool:

Last edited:
Back