1990 sc wont stay running

tipmn68

hi i am new to supercoupes. my name is brendan and i am from long island new york. always a ford guy. i have a 1990 sc automatic i just picked up. i am having alot of trouble getting it running right. it starts right up and runs fine. once it gets warm. it throws and check engine light and the injectors pulse goes from normal to solid. like it is dumping fuel. when that happens the idle goes from 800 rpm to about 1200 and the car stalls if you hit the gas. i can get it to rev up to redline if it give it gas super slowly. if the car dies during this it will not restart. only crank. once the car cools down (about 15 mins) it will restart again and run fine. almost as if the problem starts like clock work. my friend hooked up his snap on scanner and it couldnt connect for some reason. possible bad ecu? new dis on car. cam and crank sensors are pulsing still during the issue. thanks in advance guys.

Did you replace the DIS with a Motorcraft or aftermarket? Did you use CPU heatsink compound?

Have you cleaned the MAF and or checked it is plugged in completely?

actually the maf sensor was right. i took the barometric sensor off symptons stopped only check engine light stayed on. i took the sensor off my 5.0 powered volvo 242 and it still didnt run right. so i took off the maf sensor. i have 30 lb injectors on the volvo. car ran like ~~~~. but no check engine light. i bought a new maf for 88 buck. car runs like new. thanks for all the help guys

Last edited:
Glad to help. Your information provided and updating that information made it much easier to resolve.

Key note was the running fine until warmed up. Made me think about going from closed loop to open and then what parts are required to help the car run.

Enjoy driving it this summer!

Hey guys. It started happening again same thing. I tried connecting it to the snap on brick again with no luck. Than I tries one of.those odb1 cheapy scanners and it.just started lighting up steady. Any ideas? Maybe ecu?

If the snap on is having trouble start simple. Make sure you have good battery voltage. Make sure all the harness connections are solid and not corroded. Pull the passenger kick panel and check the area where the EEC is and check for moisture. Make sure the connector on the EEC is seated tightly.

Make sure everything is grounded well and then try again. If it still is acting up and nothing you saw indicates a possible wiring issue, then your eec may be bad. They have failed before.

Ok thanks I am going to pull that kick panel tomorrow morning before work and take a look. The snapon machine wont even connect to the computer.

Back