Head gaskets now when doing valve cover gaskets?

JAFO

I'm at 92k miles, and I know I need a valve cover gasket replaced. With the labor involved, 10 hrs in the book for head gaskets, I figure maybe I should have them all done since all the intake plumbing etc will be off anyway. The whole thing: valve cover gaskets, head gaskets, blower gasket etc. I know I won't be charged the whole 10 hrs, since my mechanic saves me a good bit hear and there.

-Think I should go all the way?

-What's typical price for a full set of gaskets?

-Are the Ford ones the new improved ones or are those aftermarket?

-Will be swapping plugs and wires since they're original, is there anything else that would be a good idea to do?

Thanks

There is no guarentee that the work done will be perfect. The fact your gaskets have lasted 92,000 miles may mean that they were done correct from the factory. I think it all comes down to what kind of mods you plan on adding. If you stay stock or close the original gaskets may last another 50,000 miles. My family has had 5 different 3.8 V6 Ford cars all 3.8 V6s came with aluminum heads on a cast iron block. A 88 Cougar bought new that went 140,000 before it was sold. A 88 T-Bird that blew a gasket at 20,000 miles (was ran hot for 2 miles after loss of coolant). 86 Marguis that has 150,000 miles and was bought new and still in the family. 90 Cougar LS sold at 100,000 miles no blown gasket. My 89 SC still on original gaskets with 101,000 miles. My nephew 's 90 SC blew his pass side with 80,000 ( happened in the winter possible too much boost on cold engine).

Nobody ever thought of changing headgaskets years ago as preventative maintanence. I changed the headgaskets on my nephews 90 SC so I know what is involved. When I changed my 89 SC valve cover gaskets, timing chain, motor mounts and power steering pump, a lot of guys on here said I should go ahead and do the gaskets. I chose not to as I believe that as long as you don't have detonation or overheat the heads the gaskets will hold up.

I think you will pay quite a bit more to have the headgaskets replaced over the valve covers alone. For valve covers you should only have to remove throttle body and sc top/upper IC tube over say a LX T-Bird. That shouldn't take a real mechanic that long. I'm sure I could do it in one hour then start on valve covers. So figure an additional 2 hours over a regular LX T-Bird.

It's only money :)

I say don't fix it if it ain't broke. You need to start saving for the things that will fail.

Jerry

hg's

I Dynoed 260hp and 348tq at the wheels and still have origional HGs at 208,000 miles.Cool the motor down(180 thermo and cool fan switch) and keep fresh coolant to prevent electrolosis and these motors can last.I also rarely excede 5,000 rpm's as there is no point in doing that.Open up the exhaust as first mod and don't beat on it and the potential for lots of miles is there.Having said all this I probably will loose a HG today.

Rule #1....... If it ain't broke, don't fix it...... either spend the money on something that needs doing, or save it for when something breaks (and as we all know, something will break eventually).

Well, it would do my wallet a lot better not to do them, I just want to head off future problems while I have the money to do so. I'd much rather do the exhaust and start having some fun. The car ran pretty hot until I just had the rad. recored and new thermostat etc. I don't know how long it ran hot, but the car wasn't driven much before I bought it. Don't want to do them if it might just open up a can of worms.
Mod's I'm planning:
1-exhaust
2-intake
3-gears
4-5% pulley, would keep to that on these HG's rather than go 10%
5-MAF or TB or raised SC top, don't know what should come first.

1-3 items will be in the next few months, pulley w/i a year the rest after that. Still want to do some other things with it (carpet etc).

So wait?
How many people end up replacing the engine not too long after a HG goes?

I think I have a better question, easier way to look at this.

Would it be better prevention-wise for me to replace the HG's or would it be more beneficial to upgrade the exhaust? (Cat's and all)

suggestion

cool it down per my earlier post and do the xaust from the manifolds back.

I think that's what I'll do. I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it. Now to find a shop that'll do the exhaust right w/o using Flowmasters. Seems like Magnaflow's are the standard for these cars? That's a new thread all together though.

xhaust

21/4 downpipes,high flow cats,Magnaflow resonator into 21/2-3in. center pipe into 2/14 Y pipe and Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers.Sounds good,not too loud and flows great.Then don't forget to cool it down and keep coolant fresh.

Back