Sputters in boost only

slick59

As long as I stay out of the throttle and keep the boost gauge at zero or at a vacuum car runs great, as soon as I get into boost even 2 or 3 pounds the car sputters like its missing??? I'm sure you guys have seen this what is it?

Most likely worn out plugs, or a plug wire is loose or chafed. The denser air in the cylinder once boost builds makes things harder on the ignition system.

mine too

Just had my SC out last night for the first time in a long time and discovered that mine is now doing the same thing. In my case, I just replaced spark plugs and wires. I can't remember the plugs but they are the double platinum autocraft stock replacement gapped at .054. Question here is wires: my new wires are Taylors. They seemed to be loose connecting to the plugs and wonder if this is contributing to my problem. Has anyone seen this with the Taylor wires?

Thanks,

Mike

Whenever mine's done that, reseating all the plug wires on each plug resolved it. I've always found at least one that was not seated firmly on the plug and was real loose.

and when mine did this i cracked a new plug when i installed it..

mine would only act up once warmed up or a few mile drive..

if you car is modded that could add to the issue..

Yeah, mine was doing that as well. I replaced the plugs today and the fuel filter and it now runs strong. I have magnecore competition wires and their still in great shape.

Yep, mine did the same. Mine acted up after after it had warmed up too. Ran perfect when I first started it. Thanks for the info. I will check my wires tomorrow and will let you know how it turns out. I'm almost positive its the wires cuz I questioned how loose they felt when first installed.

Thanks,

Mike

i had thesame issue with my 95. would just seem to stall over a few pounds of boost. the wires looked good, so i did the usual, swapped out with know good coil packs, MAF, checked for vac leaks, did plugs... then eventually, i did wires... gone the problem was.... :)

also... check your plug wiring order... i meesed up and followed the haynes manual when i put it back together. big booboo. all jacked up. the drivers side plugs are in a different order. it would make a popping sound on acceleration.

Since the plugs are such a pain in the neck to do and if they're not ready to do, the first thing I would check is the coin pack. Make sure that everything is connected like it should be. If you have an extra one, swap it out. It takes all of 15 minutes. Plugs on the other hand take hours.. unless you have fingers like ET.:p

x2, swivel ratchet makes life much easier

kind of aggravating at times when it torques over while your trying to put a hurting on a fastener

doing the plugs if you've got the right tools, take all but 25min. or so - tops...

at least for me...and i remove nothing other than the top of the air box, maybe

once you do it a few times you figure out what works best for you

plugs and wires - the key for a smooth ride

when under the car use a jack-stand for safety reasons

borg warner select wires (ch8651), seem to work well if wires are needed
plug gap depends on app (.035 - .054)...045 seems to work well

cheers

90 SC - 5spd

nobody mentioned fuel pressure regulator or spun harmonic balancer
ive also had trouble with autolite platinums i use autolite copper or motorcraft platinums . autolite platinums would run about a week and start to miss
i bought new plug wires and no luck then i put in autolite copper and all was good
then my moms lincoln ls was missing i told my dad it was those junk autolite platinum , he got motorcraft and all was good

hope this helps
because its not easy

thanks
ralph

im sorry to say when i used ngk in my dirtbike back in the 80s they blow out at 60 pounds where a good champion n3 g would glow brighter up to 120 pounds

got mine fixed

Sorry for the huge delay.. Been busy with family stuff.. Anyway took the awesome advicle found here and checked my newly replaced wires and sure enuff found cylinder #5 loose. When I mean loose, i mean not connected. Not sure how it provided any spark. How the engine ran fine out of boost is a mystery. Anyway, it's re-connected now and it seems to be ok now. I'm just greatful that the one that was loose is one that I can actually my hands on.

So far I like the taylor wires. My taylor part # was 74669 (blues ones) They just didnt have that reassuring "click" when installed on the plugs. They connected to the coil excellent.

Anyway, thank you everyone for you help.

Thanks,

Mike

New plugs and wires installed this weekend. Made the situation better but did not cure it altogether still has a miss above 5-7 lbs of boost. Should I close the gap on the plugs?? I used the gap called out in the manual, also I was looking at a Kenne Bell Boost-A-Spark. Has anyone used that with good results??

Mine did that to. Was a vacuum issue. The upper tube going to the inter-cooler was not holding pressure. Put Teflon gaskets and some RTV and the problem went away.

Back