View Full Version : B&M vs rebuild.

06-19-2011, 08:52 PM
The title says it all, for everyone else with a "sloppy shifter" which do you prefer to fix it.

By the way, I see supercoupeperformance has more in stock.

06-19-2011, 09:21 PM
The short throw shifter makes a world of difference and B&M makes a great quality product. Now I don't have to waste my time trying to find the gear I want :) I'd recommend it to anyone

06-20-2011, 12:21 AM
I'll be replacing the shifter the weekend before the 4th of July. Already ordered a B&M Shifter because that is what I could find. I since learned this week that a kit is available for the M5R2 in the F150 and Ranger, and all we have to do is drill 3 holes to get the new seal to fit on our M5R2. I might try this- I want the car to retain its stock personality.

06-20-2011, 03:12 AM
The shifter is not some huge undriveable change, just a tighter action. I wouldn't worry about it being too much for you it is not that bad.

06-20-2011, 10:06 AM
I heard that all peices needed fo rrebuild are not available and some need to b emodified...Love to see how it turns out if you try a rebuild...

06-20-2011, 12:52 PM
At the current typical prices for the B&M's, I'd have to say a rebuild is the way to go (assuming you can find the right parts).

06-20-2011, 07:34 PM
I would love to try and do a rebuild but I don't have the time. The nice thing is that the B&M looks pretty durable (other than the dust boot.)

06-20-2011, 10:51 PM
The B&M is an improvement over a good stock shifter. Shorter throws and a more positive feel. Now if you have a worn out stock shifter the B&M will feel like a huge improvement. Rebuilding the stock shifter is not that hard, and yes the dust cover needs some slight modification to work as the correct parts are no longer available.

06-22-2011, 10:32 AM
All you have to do to the F-150 dust boot cover is oval the holes. here's a pic of the one that's gone on my tranny that' going in next weekend.

The other parts were available from Ford when I rebuilt my shifter a couple of years ago.

06-22-2011, 01:12 PM
That boot looks more durable than the original style anyway.

06-23-2011, 02:04 AM
Sdw- thanks for posting that picture. That looks easy enough to oval the holes. I know for the other parts, following the suggestion by others, go on ebay and put in 'M5R2' the less than $20 rebuild kit will come up.

06-23-2011, 03:59 AM
i looked at those repair kits but I'm not sure they have everything. I don't have a picture of the new parts but hereis a pic of the broken bits that I replaced.

In the kits I don't see the two spring washers that you see broken here.

Unless I missed something, which at my age is possible.

06-23-2011, 10:43 AM
The washers are in the kits, I have bought a few. Just had to do my ranger and a friends f150.

06-26-2011, 12:33 PM
I've got an SC with one of each, I rebuilt one shifter with slightly higher price than the $20 kit. Went together fine works like a charm, went to rebuild another one withb the cheaper kit and after assembling it the same way it dodn't have the throw necessary to use. Since I don't need it for a car I've just left it alone for now. IIRC the kits don't include the spring washers, just large thick washers.

I agree at $250+ for the B&M I'd sure rebuild the OE part first to see if it satisfies, but if you got the jack and you want the shiznit pop for the much better B&M part!

Steve Alger
01-26-2012, 10:04 PM
I know this thread is old, but ironiclly in rebuild my shifter about the same time this poll started. I used all stock ford parts. The only thing I couldn't find was the dust boot. I used one for the truck and modfied the holes.
I have had no problems with shifting even when shifting hard.
I let the original owner drive it and he smiled as he said it felt like it did when it was new. Cost me about $75. It was worth it!