B&M vs rebuild.

B&M Ripper vs Shifter Rebuild

• B&M Ripper

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Shifter Rebuild

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters

ShawnM93

The title says it all, for everyone else with a "sloppy shifter" which do you prefer to fix it.

By the way, I see supercoupeperformance has more in stock.

The short throw shifter makes a world of difference and B&M makes a great quality product. Now I don't have to waste my time trying to find the gear I want :) I'd recommend it to anyone

I'll be replacing the shifter the weekend before the 4th of July. Already ordered a B&M Shifter because that is what I could find. I since learned this week that a kit is available for the M5R2 in the F150 and Ranger, and all we have to do is drill 3 holes to get the new seal to fit on our M5R2. I might try this- I want the car to retain its stock personality.

The shifter is not some huge undriveable change, just a tighter action. I wouldn't worry about it being too much for you it is not that bad.
Alan

I heard that all peices needed fo rrebuild are not available and some need to b emodified...Love to see how it turns out if you try a rebuild...

At the current typical prices for the B&M's, I'd have to say a rebuild is the way to go (assuming you can find the right parts).

B&M it is,

I would love to try and do a rebuild but I don't have the time. The nice thing is that the B&M looks pretty durable (other than the dust boot.)

The B&M is an improvement over a good stock shifter. Shorter throws and a more positive feel. Now if you have a worn out stock shifter the B&M will feel like a huge improvement. Rebuilding the stock shifter is not that hard, and yes the dust cover needs some slight modification to work as the correct parts are no longer available.

All you have to do to the F-150 dust boot cover is oval the holes. here's a pic of the one that's gone on my tranny that' going in next weekend.

The other parts were available from Ford when I rebuilt my shifter a couple of years ago.

Regards

Sean

Attachments

• IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 138
Sdw- thanks for posting that picture. That looks easy enough to oval the holes. I know for the other parts, following the suggestion by others, go on ebay and put in 'M5R2' the less than $20 rebuild kit will come up.

i looked at those repair kits but I'm not sure they have everything. I don't have a picture of the new parts but hereis a pic of the broken bits that I replaced.

In the kits I don't see the two spring washers that you see broken here.

Unless I missed something, which at my age is possible.

Regards

Sean

Attachments

• 000_1170.jpg
    000_1170.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 122
I've got an SC with one of each, I rebuilt one shifter with slightly higher price than the $20 kit. Went together fine works like a charm, went to rebuild another one withb the cheaper kit and after assembling it the same way it dodn't have the throw necessary to use. Since I don't need it for a car I've just left it alone for now. IIRC the kits don't include the spring washers, just large thick washers.

I agree at $250+ for the B&M I'd sure rebuild the OE part first to see if it satisfies, but if you got the jack and you want the shiznit pop for the much better B&M part!

Shifter rebuild

I know this thread is old, but ironiclly in rebuild my shifter about the same time this poll started. I used all stock ford parts. The only thing I couldn't find was the dust boot. I used one for the truck and modfied the holes.
I have had no problems with shifting even when shifting hard.
I let the original owner drive it and he smiled as he said it felt like it did when it was new. Cost me about $75. It was worth it!

Back