alignment troubles

TinManSC92

Went to A-G-Ross for new tires and an alignment. Afterwards the car shakes around 75 mph and heads for the ditch when you apply the brakes. so, I take the car back and the guy says the caster was way off and probably never done. So he takes out a 4 ft. pipe wrench to loosen the nuts ( appearently no one in the shop has a socket over 25 mm ) and the wrench has to go on opposite the jaws because he can't get it in the tight space. :eek: Then he says he can't get the right hand side to 5.5 because he's at the end of the threads on the rod. Now both sides are at 4.6 :rolleyes: cause that's all he can do. Any suggestions would help as to what I can do or say to this shop. I MEAN OH MY GOODNESS.
Over a thousand dollars for tires but they can't figure out why they're at the end of the adjustment.
might have to go to ford.

As long as they can find out what is either worn out or bent,the rule of thumb for caster is usually no more that (+) or (-) a half of a degree.Down here in Texas,I used to set the right side,one half(.5) of a degree higher than the left to compensate for road crown.If you set both sides equal,it will tend to make the car drift or pull to the right.The only way caster will usually cause a wobble is if it set close to zero.Think of it like a shopping cart, which has Negative(-) caster.At high speed,they wobble.The more positive caster you have,the control-ability will be better,within reason of course.Your shaking is probably from worn brake components,warped rotors,or abnormal wear in your tires.A belt separation in a tire(s) can cause a pull as well,but not usually under braking.

OOPS---Just noticed that you said they replaced the tires,was it doing this before they put them on?????

Last edited:
So, after the second attempt, how does it drive?

A pull problem under braking could certainly be related to worn out strut rod bushings. Are those in good shape, at both ends of the strut rod?

So, after the second attempt, how does it drive?

A pull problem under braking could certainly be related to worn out strut rod bushings. Are those in good shape, at both ends of the strut rod?

I second this... when i bought my 93, the drivers side arm end bushing was all but gone and would dive hard to the right under any kind of braking... put all four new bushings in and all is well... also, putting the upper control arms on the wrong side will cause crazy negative caster, they're designed with an offset to the rear to build in a little caster.

To answer your first question a little better but still horrible. and, secondly I had better check out those pper control arms to see if they're in there properly. Never new about that. I think the bushings are new though. better check that out. I thank you for your insight. Great info.

it sounds like your tires are new . but i would try rotating tires right to left
, ive often found its just tire issues . ive had lots of tire issues lately and broken belts making it pull like wild
on older 2 or 3 year old tires , it seems tires dont last like they used to

ralph

Back