Flaming River Steering Joint Fitment Question

sdw

I went to install my Flaming River Steering joint and find it is longer than the rag joint that came out.

How can I move the steering shaft backward?

tia

Regards

Sean

Just push the steering shaft in towards the steering wheel, its collapseable for crash safety.

I have found a couple times that my steering shaft is very hard to collapse but it does.....what's worse is when it doesnt like to extend!!

There was no way the steering shaft was going to collapse. When I took it out is is a strait piece of DD ish shaft attached to a universal joint on the steering wheel side.

I had to cut off an inch and then regrind to a normal DD shape.

But it is all good now.

Sean

Attachments

• 100_0446.jpg
    100_0446.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 178
  • 100_0456.jpg
    100_0456.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 100B0470.jpg
    100B0470.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
DLF:

If I understand the picture the inside / outside sections are beneath the plastic coating?

If that's the case, I will yank that out again and replace. I see you had a breakaway joint that doesn't exist on my shaft will that style retrofit into the '91's

Regards

Sean

DLF:

If I understand the picture the inside / outside sections are beneath the plastic coating?

Yes, under the plastic sleeve in both your pic and mine.

If that's the case, I will yank that out again and replace. I see you had a breakaway joint that doesn't exist on my shaft will that style retrofit into the '91's

I believe so, but I don't know for sure.

no worries the local wrecker just got an 89 lx so I should be fine.

tks

Sean

Picked up the new shaft today but didn't get a chance to install it since the water pump on my Ranger blew a leak and I spent the evening fixing that,

But tomorrow!!

Thanks again for the advice.

Sean

Did you get a chance to install the replacement steering shaft yet?

If you get a chance, can you measure the shaft? I am wondering about the total length, both extended and collapsed.

Sorry it is already in and the engine is in too. If you don't need 100% accuracy I will measure the old one and add back in the 1.5" or so I cut off.

Regards

Sean

Sorry it is already in and the engine is in too. If you don't need 100% accuracy I will measure the old one and add back in the 1.5" or so I cut off.

Regards

Sean

That would be fine. Thanks!

Glad to hear you got it together. That's always a good feeling.

Including the bit I chopped off the total extended length is 20-5/8" plus / minus, the collapsed length is 12-3/4 again plus / minus.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Sean

Last edited:
Including the bit I chopped off the total extended length is 20-5/8" plus / minus, the collapsed length is 12-3/4 again plus / minus.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Sean

Thank you very much!

I am surprised how far it collapses, actually.

Back