Fuel filter help

99GSXR750

How do I remove this line from the fuel filter?

06252011101.jpg

Do I need a special tool? I tried my fuel rail disconnect tool, but the ones I have don't fit.

It's just a smaller fuel line disconnect tool, than the one you used for the rail. I picked up a smaller set up at Autozone. Most auto parts stores should have them

Yeah it sucks, and you'll probably end up having to buy a $10 set of the flatter disconnect things (I did), but it's good to have it anyways.

648424-ac-fuel-line-disconnect-set.jpg

I hate those "quick disconnects" I have every variety of tool they sell and its still a ~~~~

The fuel filter couplings are really... really...no... really cheap. There is a very thin piece of metal in there that has various bends to retain the connection. It can easily get bent such that it becomes impossible to remove.

You can't see in there for anything, so best you can do is use a pick or awl to try and shove things out of the way. If you have a big bolt cutter or a tin snips, you might try snipping off the end of the filter so you can get some visibility to what is going on. I thought about that after I had a similar problem and just pulled super hard and ripped the fuel filter out of the coupling.

The metal clip thing came out with it all bent to heck. I re- bent the metal clip and shoved it back into the hose end with the new filter.

I easily popped mine out with a small flat head, along with some pulling on the filter to get it off the line. Put new one on with no problem. Connected everything turned it on. Good as new, NO Leaks or nothing!!

Thanks guys. I was able to get it apart. Now back to Napa seeing as they gave me a filter that doesn't fit. Awesome that they're not open on Sunday.
Anyone know if there was a change in filters through out the years?

All my mn-12s two 93 and a 96 all had the same filter.

You did put it in the right way (direction)?

Ther will be an arrow on the housing of the filter pointing in the correct direction. That would be towards the front of the vehicle.

Hey, there you are. Guess you've only been around for 8 year. :)

I saw the screen name and vaugely remember you posting pics of a 250r on here. If I ever make to a shoot out I'll bring the Tecate with me, so you can finally see on in person. :D

That would be super cool. Then again, I would probably just want one after seeing it in the flesh.

Back