Has anyone put a heads-up display in their SC?

skydivr7673

Like the title says, I know that some cars were offered with these. I have seen the corvettes, and Nissan also put a very basic one in some 240sx's. Anyone put one in their Bird?

Not that I've ever seen. I know some of the early 90s Olds Cutlasses had a very basic one (displayed mph only), but I think it may have been built into the windshield. I'd love to have one of the C5 HUDs, but I suspect it would cost a lot more money to figure it out than I'm willing to spend.

The Grand Prix had one. I am not sure how easy it would be to retrofit. I think the windshield glass was the same whether you had it or not, and the projector was in the dash. I am guessing the interface with the computer would be the hard part.

I have looked into several of them. Most of them work with an OBD II system which leaves most of us out. The Iphone has an app for this but it really sucks.

Someone with the programming know how can pull the information out of the EEC IV easily with the QH and display it real time.

Fraser

I have looked into several of them. Most of them work with an OBD II system which leaves most of us out. The Iphone has an app for this but it really sucks.

Well, if you wanted to be truly perverse, you could swap in the ECM from a supercharged Grand Prix 3.8 and rewire for all the sensors. Then the Grand Prix HUD would work just fine! :p ;)

Someone with the programming know how can pull the information out of the EEC IV easily with the QH and display it real time.

Fraser

Now there ya go and spilled the beans. Been working on a way to do this all winter ;)

Ira

Actually the Grand Prix window is different with the HUD, It has a section specially coated for the HUD to reflect off of.

We had a 99 GTP with HUD and my wife and I both found it to be very annoying and distracting. It was cool a first, but we never used it again after a week or two.

David

Some aftermarket HUDs come with a square of semi-reflective tint material in case you need it for good visibility. So if the GM cars had something, it was probably along those lines.

Today, I was reading a few posts in Pontiac forums about retrofitting HUDs from equipped to non-equipped cars, and the general consensus was that the standard windshield works fine. If it isn't bright enough for you, you can try a tint or swap windshields.

I have also heard of Huds installed without the correct windshield. Good at night but daytime is questionable.

From what I have read, there is a special coating on the windshield that enhances the reflectivity of the HUD image.

I have had the good fortune of putting close to 4000 miles on a friends '04 Z06, and I got to really like the HUD. Like David mentioned it can be a bother a first, keeping the illumination intensity down where it is not so distracting made it much more usable for me.

I had it on my 93 Altima and I loved it but I also had it turned down the bright setting did get annoying. On the Nissan they had a square of what looked like tint over the display and the windsheild wasnt anymore then a standard one so its nothing special. I wanted to do one but after looking into it it seemed more trouble then its worth

I was thinking about putting together one eventually though it would probably require the back bone of a laptop with you in the car. Lol.
Also was just thinking about a little LCD display with a digital information read out, though at the time of the thought process it would still be in need of a laptop. (if I did it that is, until I could get all the proper electronics worked out)

If you are having to deal with freezing temperature, and/or temperatures in the extreme heat, the laptop is not going to last long.

Fraser

Truth. Just considering things until I can do it the right way with a stand alone module. =\

Edit: Anyone got a diagram for the ECU Pin outs?

Last edited:
Truth. Just considering things until I can do it the right way with a stand alone module. =\

Edit: Anyone got a diagram for the ECU Pin outs?

The EVTM does. If I were you, before I even THOUGHT about doing this, I'd locate an EVTM and use it (Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual )

eBay lists several, I'd search there first - or ask for one in the "Wanted" subforum.

RwP

Yea I have the stupid thing, just left it at my parents house while attempting (and not doing it) to fix my car a couple weeks ago. Its just now I have a crazy @ss idea bouncing around but it would probably require a 2nd ECU harness. lol

Back