PDA

View Full Version : Taking care of MI Cancer...

samishii
07-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Michigan Cancer otherwise known as rust. I am gonna be under the car for a while soon, and can going to be doing alot of rust removal, and was planning on doing some kinda of rubberized coating to atleast slow down if at all possible future rust.

Anyone have ideas of tips for while doing this (besides making sure not to hit the drive shaft. :) )

Thanks!

bowez
07-01-2011, 11:50 AM
I'd suggest remove everything from under the car (tranny, DS, tank) and disconnect the fuel and brake lines.

Do it right do it once.

samishii
07-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Im going to concentrate near the suspension area this weekend because Im putting spring / struts on. Also where the back seat floor is as well since its nice and out in the open. I have to do a tranny swap soon anyways, so I'll do there then.

XR7-4.6
07-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Don't do rubberized undercoating, it quickly dries up, cracks and creates a nice little water/salt hammock.

shoalcracker
07-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Fix it, finish it and don't drive it in the winter.

It won't need goo to keep it alive.

Paul

samishii
07-02-2011, 12:16 PM
It is alas my only car at the moment and I don't have a job. =\
What kind of finish?

SCchick3
07-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Coming from a body guy's girl friend...rubberized undercoating is the way to go.

You have to make sure you scuff the underside with a red scotch brite pad, clean up all of the excess dust and dirt then spray a few good coats to get a good build on it. It may take half a dozen cans, but it will be the best way to go.

Any other kind of rock coating or anything chip, where as rubberized coating stays rubbery, and makes rocks and what not bounce off instead of cracking. Do make sure you still keep it clean tho, we are still from Michigan ;)