Votes: 13 52.0%
  • No Speed

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Doesn't Count

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Doesn't work at all

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
Is it the speedo, or just the wrong speedo gear for the tire/rearend gear combo?

I don't know, at slower speeds it's about 7 mph off, at higher speeds it's off by 2-3 mph. I was thinking it was a weak spring.

Last edited:
No speed well nothing reliable. It does move but is all over the place. I drive based off RPM; 3rd and 4th are easy to know but 1st and 2nd are just guesses.

I've contacted professionals on getting it "repaired' and they quoted me $200. Figure they just sell me a new VDO unit.

mine is 5-10 mph faster. at very low speeds (about 3 mph) it jumps up and down. I also have the wrong size tires and the transmission has a 2" OD band (don't know if that makes a difference). i drive based on RPM's as well

All my speedometers are fast, except for the '91 5.0; wife says it is "Dead on Balls accurate.";)
'92 - dash reads 55 when you are clocked at 50 by the "You are going this fast roadside speed detector/monitor."
'94 - same as '92
'96 - same as '94
I don't know about you all, but, IMHO speed limits are dictated by surrounding traffic and not necessarily the posted speed. I particularly enjoy Hi-Way entrance ramps.
These mph numbers are apparently within Fords Specs - makes you feel good and keep you out of trouble I guess.
I would prefer a speedo that was like my wife's "91.:confused::eek::cool:

I have an '89 SC and the speedometer has always been fast.
My best guess is that it is 9 or 10 mph fast in the 80 mph range.
The first week I owned the car I thought it was the fastest car ever because it was so easy to hit 100mph.

Back