PDA

View Full Version : Bent rear Sway bar links

Hasher76
07-06-2011, 10:48 PM
I was checking the torque on my rear sway bar links after I did the lowering springs and I installed the lowered links and I noticed both of them are bent.
I put the lowered 1.6" Vogtland springs in with new poly cups top and bottom as mine were shot, I had a bear of a time getting the links on during the install due to the odd angle they are at, it seems like the car is not low enough for them. Anyone have something similar, because I am thinking I should rebuild the stock ones and put them back on. I would say rather than them being at a right angle to the sway bar, they are about 110 degrees or so.

XxSlowpokexX
07-07-2011, 12:42 AM
lower your car it will hapen..You should put shorter ones in however

95_XR7
07-07-2011, 12:48 AM
lower your car it will hapen..You should put shorter ones in however

Ditto. Noticed the other day that they're bent in my 95 with Eibach's. Not all that worried about it though since it sees LESS than 1000 miles a year.

-Corey

DrFishbone
07-07-2011, 12:10 PM
You can by a kit that is generic/adjustable that works great. I just can't remember where I got mine. :o Maybe Autozone or Napa...pretty cheap too, if I remember right.

XR7 Dave
07-07-2011, 12:37 PM
All aftermarket sway bar end links will bend, regardless of length. They don't bend because they are too long or short, they do it because when you jack the car up it binds the link which is why the stock link has a rotating bushing at the top. Put the stock links back on, no more problem. Or you can custom make a rod end link which will not bind.

Hasher76
07-07-2011, 06:33 PM
All aftermarket sway bar end links will bend, regardless of length. They don't bend because they are too long or short, they do it because when you jack the car up it binds the link which is why the stock link has a rotating bushing at the top. Put the stock links back on, no more problem. Or you can custom make a rod end link which will not bind.

:D perfect, thanks.

XxSlowpokexX
07-07-2011, 07:52 PM
I have custom endlinks that are adjustable..My old shorter aftermarket bent..But that is what youre stuck with unless you make your own. I was going to produce them but noone wanted any at the time. Eh well

Crash00527
07-11-2011, 11:10 AM
mine bent....than just broke off after a year lol. was working on my car and saw a gap where they would be.. i was like ~~~ lol had to get new ones.

dthompson
05-04-2014, 12:30 AM
Dont buy these stupid shorter endlinks from SCP. I wish i would have read this thread before i wasted $35.

fast Ed
05-04-2014, 01:41 PM
Has anyone ever tried cutting down and rethreading a factory style end link to get a better match for the length with a lowered suspension?

cheers
Ed

neverfastenough
05-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Ed, are new ones available?

Has anyone ever tried cutting down and rethreading a factory style end link to get a better match for the length with a lowered suspension?

cheers
Ed

Jimmy 2Coupes
05-04-2014, 08:09 PM

cheers
Ed

I was wondering the same thing Ed because it looks doable. When I installed H&R springs on my 95 many moons ago I used shorter end links and there slightly bent now. I installed H&R springs on my 94 a few years later and although I had purchased shorter end links for the install after thinking about it I just put the factory links back on. The angle's look's funky but I haven't noticed any issue’s with the stocker's so far.

KMT
05-04-2014, 08:32 PM

Doesn't this issue go away with an aftermarket (Addco as an example) swaybar?

racecougar
05-04-2014, 08:55 PM
The stock design is better by far, but even with all the parts I've bent or broken, I can't say I've had any trouble running the "el cheapo" rear endlinks. :confused: I want to say I picked up the kit at a local auto parts store circa '04, and cut the sleeves to the correct length.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/racecougar/90%20XR7/underside/delrin1.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/racecougar/media/90%20XR7/underside/delrin1.jpg.html)

KMT
05-04-2014, 09:10 PM
I have an Addco rear sway bar w/red Energy bushings & custom end links on a 1.5" lowered suspension. Nothing bent so far and that's been at least 5 years. I wonder if it is the stock w/vertical mounts on lowered cars that have this issue.

David Neibert
05-05-2014, 02:08 PM
Why is it even necessary to shorten the stock sway bar links ?

David

XxSlowpokexX
05-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Just to have the sway bar function properly and not be overly preloaded. I had custom swivel ones made for the rear years ago and put a post up here to see if anyone wanted (as mentioned earlier in this thread). There was no interested so they were never produced...No bending there...But its true. If you deviate from stock style endlink they will bend if you allow control arm to unload.

David Neibert
05-05-2014, 05:28 PM
Just to have the sway bar function properly and not be overly preloaded. I had custom swivel ones made for the rear years ago and put a post up here to see if anyone wanted (as mentioned earlier in this thread). There was no interested so they were never produced...No bending there...But its true. If you deviate from stock style endlink they will bend if you allow control arm to unload.

Not following...if the sway bar pivots up and down and both sides of the car are lowered an equal distance how does that add preload ? Here is what mine looks like with 1.5" H&R lowering springs and stock links.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/racecougar/MN12%20airlift%20air%20bag%20article/reassembled.jpg

David