Crankcase Evacuation

JeepsterSC

Is there anything to be gained by removing the PCV and using an exhaust venturi setup on a moderatly modified SC? I was looking for an oil catch can when I stumbled on this.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AAF-ALL34145/

I can buy this cheaper than an oil catch can. Is there any advantage over PCV? Is there any reason not to do this? There are no emissions testing here in Indiana, so thats not a concern

Thats meant for a carbuerated car. You can just put breathers on the valve covers. But then you get a burning oil smell and should have a tune for it cause it is metered air entering and exiting the crankcase.

The only positive to breathers is you keep oil out of the intake track, but you can acomplish that with the catch can and not have the smell or the retune.

i run the header evac kit. it is for all cars not just carbed cars. you will get less blow by by creating a vacume in the crankcase and getting better ring seal.

One potential pitfall that I can see, getting those breather filters to fit under the IC tubes. I'm not sure how big the breather filters are, but if they are as large as normal breather caps,they wont' fit under the IC tubes on the driver's side.

Some budget pump setups involve using a smog pump from a LT1 or LS1 F body or a 96-98 Cobra or Mark VIII(same basic pump)

Put this separator in a week ago...the lines are white plastic - the feed line off the PCV is already tinted from the oil/crud being moved & collecting in the bowl.

$25 in parts and an hour to install - easy to monitor and service.

Attachments

• DSCN4981sm.jpg
    DSCN4981sm.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN4982sm.jpg
    DSCN4982sm.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCN4989sm.jpg
    DSCN4989sm.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
I'd seen it used before - figured it was worth a try...so far, so good. The addition of push-in fittings makes it even easier to install. I'm looking for a mini vacuum gauge to line-in on the head.

Last edited:
Back