Let me ask a question about cooling system

90turbo1

Ok, so I have a 1992 SC manual trans and I was wondering if anyone else has this happen with there car, when I start the car it idles just fine now, (all my other threads helped thanks). I also have a single row aluminum radiator (radiator express) seems to be a good radiator so far. but the thing gets hot to the touch in about 5min of starting the cold engine. how can the coolant get to that temp in that quick of time????

car does not seem to over heat driving and I dont let it idle past the half way mark on guage till I get it 100 percent sorted out.

what do you guys think.

Ok, so I have a 1992 SC manual trans and I was wondering if anyone else has this happen with there car, when I start the car it idles just fine now, (all my other threads helped thanks). I also have a single row aluminum radiator (radiator express) seems to be a good radiator so far. but the thing gets hot to the touch in about 5min of starting the cold engine. how can the coolant get to that temp in that quick of time????

car does not seem to over heat driving and I dont let it idle past the half way mark on guage till I get it 100 percent sorted out.

what do you guys think.

5 minutes of idle time, my 5.0HO is at approx. 192F ... that's "hot to the touch" if there ever was :)

Do you have a way to measure the actual temp of the radiator?

But consider - you're exploding gasoline 3x a revolution - if it's idling at 600 RPM, that's 30 explosions a SECOND. That causes some heat.

Consider also how warm the exhaust manifolds are getting.

More questions - does the fan(s) run during this time? If not, and if you have a QuarterHorse installed, I'd check to see what temp the engine THINKS it's at.

RwP

Wow, ok, two answers that are ok, when i show it to people around here they look at me like the car is running on plutonium or something.... Ha ha

guess it just shows how aluminum is a good conductor of heat..

Thanks

the worst burn my car has given me is when I was stupid and put my hand on my griffin radiator as I leaned over to see if a wire was rubbing on the belt. Yeeeaouuuch.

Back