Anti-Theft Module

Joystick

I have a 1992 SC w/ manual transmission, and I have had an intermittant problem starting the vehicle that has now been solved. Power was present to all circuits but turning the key would not engage the starter. (Shorting the relay under hood near the battery started the car so I could get around while we worked on the problem.) A change of the neutral safety switch solved the problem for ~8 mos., but a subsequent change did not solve the problem when it re-appeared. We initially concentrated on the anti-theft module, as there was no power passing through it when the key was turned. I purchased an anti-theft module (from a working 1990 SC), which, when installed, allowed no power in any of the circuts. We later determed that the 1990 & 1992 T-Bird anti-theft modules have the following part numbers:
1990: F1VF-19A366 AB
1992: F2VF-19A366 AA.
They do not appear to be interchangeable. The dates of manufacture are not always on the anti-theft modules, so part numbers are important.

The problem was eventually located in the ignition switch, which appears to be a fairly common problem in all older T-Birds. There is a connector that tends to separate. Repair requires openning the steering column. My original anti-theft module is back in the car, and all anit-theft functions are operating. One idication of a problem in the ignition switch that we originally overlooked was the absence of the warning bell when the key was left in the ignition and the door was opened.

Back