Pulling the motor - Checklist

sts70004

So I've finally gotten around to pulling the engine on my 89 5-speed to investigate a knock, and I'm just about to hoist it out, but its been a while since I've pulled an engine (high school shop ~ 8 years) so I'm just trying to confirm everything that needs to be done to remove it. Here's what I've done, and I think its ready to come out now.

Remove windshield wipers, cowling, motor assembly, supercharger intake assembly (possibly unnecessary but I didn't want to risk it), intercooler and tubes, accessory brackets, unplugged wiring harness from the car, engine grounds, transmission bell-housing bolts, support transmission, unbolt downtubes from exhaust, unplug O2 sensors, remove engine mount bolts, and then it should be ready to come out right? Can you think of anything I missed?

You'll want to disconnect your coolant hoses from the heater core. I'd say you got most of it.

dont forget to go over the list of curse words you will want to expel when something goes wrong.

jk

good luck and hope your back on the road soon :D

So I've finally gotten around to pulling the engine on my 89 5-speed to investigate a knock, and I'm just about to hoist it out, but its been a while since I've pulled an engine (high school shop ~ 8 years) so I'm just trying to confirm everything that needs to be done to remove it. Here's what I've done, and I think its ready to come out now.

Remove windshield wipers, cowling, motor assembly, supercharger intake assembly (possibly unnecessary but I didn't want to risk it), intercooler and tubes, accessory brackets, unplugged wiring harness from the car, engine grounds, transmission bell-housing bolts, support transmission, unbolt downtubes from exhaust, unplug O2 sensors, remove engine mount bolts, and then it should be ready to come out right? Can you think of anything I missed?

Vacuum lines, water lines, fuel lines, starter.

Thanks for goin over it, I did already remove the fuel rail and vacuum lines, just forgot to mention it. I did however forget the starter. I only had my 13mm wrench with me when I went to do the bellhousing bolts so I forgot about that one. The coolant lines I've already disconnected as well. I'm gonna edit the original post as soon as I'm done with a more detailed checklist just so its easier for anyone else to pull the engine if they're doing it on an SC for the first time. So I think that basically means once the starter is out its a green light for pulling it out.

Back