New power steering pumping still makes noise?

irocdou

I only replaced old one because of noise. Is their a additive I can put in or any other ideas. I have put about 1,000 miles on new pump.

Last edited:
what fluid did you put in it, and did you make sure you got all the air out before driving around?

Ford recommends Type F ATF, not power steering fluid though it shouldn't really matter. The noise you hear is caused by aerated fluid, or water in the fluid.

I only replaced old one because of noise. Is their a additive I can put in or any other ideas. I have put about 1,000 miles on new pump.

Did you purge out all the air before you took it out for the first drive? There is a purge valve located on the high pressure line down by the sub frame. Take a long metal rod and hold that sucker open while you turn the wheel a few times. Keep the pump full of ATF\PS fluid while doing this. Once that's done you shouldn't see any air bubbles in the system.

I've also had success with propping the car off the ground and simply turning the wheel until all the air bubbles stopped showing up in the reservoir.

I usually jack the front off the ground then go side to side with it before driving it with new pump...works every time

my ford truck and t-bird were making a whinning noise when turning, not air or anything just noisy.

changed fluid out and used CHF-11s (napa sells it, green metal can) flushed out all old fluid and filled with this stuff (we use it on almost every bmw as a replacment for atf fluid noises in there cars) so I decied what the hell, wow noise is gone even the aftermarket pump noise i had after truck pump sprung a leak..

just my 2 cents

CHF-11 is much thinner than ATF or Power Steering Fluid. That may make it easier to get air out of the fluid. If you switch to CHF-11, you should completely flush the system of ATF or PSF.

CHF-11 is much thinner than ATF or Power Steering Fluid. That may make it easier to get air out of the fluid. If you switch to CHF-11, you should completely flush the system of ATF or PSF.

true, true.... they dont mix well either..
just flush it good and you can use this stuff with no problems

Back