ARP Studs vrs Bolts

Toms-SC

Given the option between STUDS and BOLTS what is the preferred solution? Is the only advantage to STUDS is the fact they are 'easier' for swapping parts? I need some fastener help please. :)

I think he's speaking on behalf of his SVO motor. That motor has the choice of reusable bolts or studs.

Bolts typically don't support as much torque since the material of the block isn't as strong as the fastener itself. Whenever a bolt is torqued, there is friction between the block's threads and the threads of the bolt that are more difficult to overcome. Being dissimilar metals doesn't help, either.

If you use a stud, then the threads in the block are only being pulled on. The nut and the stud have the same metallurgy, are stronger, and have lower possible friction whenever torqued together.

They both would work, but neck-to-neck the stud would be better.

Last edited:
head or main?

If mains, what was used when align honing or boring the mains? If bolts, stick with bolts for final assembly. If studs stick with studs for final assembly. The both deform the block differently.

For heads, studs would be a preference.

There is a simple answer in every performance book, article, tech page, website and its been beeten to death on almost every site i have been apart of.

look at it from the fasteners view. a bolt must both twist and pull at the same time, this is the reason for TTY bolts, you are making one fastner to two operations at the same time. vs a stud which is put in finger tight then the nut pulls on the stud in one constant pressure. This allows the stud to be stronger and also it allows the threads in the block to "act" stronger also. if you have the budget... studs all the way. The heads are a miserable job to do again so do it right the first time and be done with it.

and god forbid if you have to remove the heads again they are reusable.

Back