Brass Blocker Ring

rbrown

Just got the last 2 in the country new from the dealer for this darn 5 speed.

I think I'll frame them.

Rodney

Oh darn I thought you was gonna say lined.

Mine are the lined ones.

I have 3 transmissions over here and figure with the 2 new rings I can put together enough good ones for a rebuild, maybe.

R

I got 4 new carbon lined ones from a guy in the used transmission parts business, who has contacts. Paid through the nose for them. Then sold 3 of my used ones a month or so ago. 2 of the 3 had essentially no wear, and the 3rd had about 40% wear. The 4th ring (which I didn't sell) was completely worn. It was from gear 1.

So if you inspect them when rebuilding, you may have some which are still good and you'll only need to replace a few. Measure the thickness with a caliper and note the wear compared to new.

I got 4 new carbon lined ones from a guy in the used transmission parts business, who has contacts. Paid through the nose for them. Then sold 3 of my used ones a month or so ago. 2 of the 3 had essentially no wear, and the 3rd had about 40% wear. The 4th ring (which I didn't sell) was completely worn. It was from gear 1.

So if you inspect them when rebuilding, you may have some which are still good and you'll only need to replace a few. Measure the thickness with a caliper and note the wear compared to new.

Funny that is what I tried, the rebuild business. Found one that could get the lined ones for 110.00 each.

Then found the 2 at a New Jersey Ford for 53.00 each and jumped on them. Not so much a money thing, but these were Ford.. YeeHaw.
Made in Japan.

Aftermarket fiber lined rings are readily available for about $50/ea and solid brass for about 1/2 that. I do feel that the OE are the best ones but hard to find anymore. I have a lot of lightly used ones if someone were in a bind and needed some but I'm not actively trying to sell any.

Aftermarket fiber lined rings are readily available for about $50/ea and solid brass for about 1/2 that. I do feel that the OE are the best ones but hard to find anymore. I have a lot of lightly used ones if someone were in a bind and needed some but I'm not actively trying to sell any.

Once I get these apart I will see what I have.

On a side note, just put a t56 in my nephews 65 Mustang behind a 289. Real nice transmission. Might need to consider.

Question.

Where did you measure?

I measure and get .2815 on these 2 new ones.

Question.

Where did you measure?

I measure and get .2815 on these 2 new ones.
I measured from the lined side to the back edge of the ring. I set the caliper flat against the lined side (not in the gaps), and on the ridge of the back side. Using that, I measured .272" for a new ring. There may be some variance but its the difference in thicknesses that matters. FWIW, the worn ring was .264" which is how I determined that .008" was the maximum amount of wear.

I measured from the lined side to the back edge of the ring. I set the caliper flat against the lined side (not in the gaps), and on the ridge of the back side. Using that, I measured .272" for a new ring. There may be some variance but its the difference in thicknesses that matters. FWIW, the worn ring was .264" which is how I determined that .008" was the maximum amount of wear.

Awesome. Exactly where I measured.

Back