95 sc motor swap into existing 94 v8 bird

J3ARB3AR

This all started when I found a 95 5speed sc in my local junkyard an due to some technical issues with the old title i cant just buy the whole car but i can by parts out of it. he told me i could buy the motor for around $500 it has 138000 on it. rite now i have a 94 tbird with a v8 and the stock automatic transmission. my car has over 200000 on it but the tranny is still pretty new so my question is would it be possible to do a motor swap, what would i need out of the old sc, and would it even be worth it? if this is possible i would probably rebuild the sc motor before i put it back in my my car. id really appreciate any advice3 or suggestions on this thanks

You'd need the tranny from that SC as well. The 4.6 based tranny's have a different bolt pattern than the 3.8.

Fraser

Why not rebuild the 4.6 or get a used 4.6 to rebuild and drop in? There are a lot of performance options available for the modular engine including roots blowers and parts/upgrades are more widely available than the 3.8 SC engine. Another option might be to pick up a 5.4 or a 32-valve engine. Both, I think, not positive, should run be able to run with your computer, with tuning of course. Might have some trouble stuffing it between the strut towers though.

If you swap you'll need a tranny, as mentioned, computer, wiring harnesses, possibly gauge cluster, probably some custom exhaust work. May also need k-member if its different. It'll probably be a lot of work and money. I would think it would be easier and get more bang for your buck to stay with the modular V8 platform.

Just my 2 cents.

yah i was thinking it would be easier to just rebuild the motor i have now in the long run i just don't really like the 94 4.6 seems like theres more parts for later years but owell. just thinking the sc engine would be a pretty cool idea but i don't have the time or money to go that far with it haha but another thing i forgot in the origional post the trak loc rear out of that sc should swap rite out with my old pumpkin pretty sure it will i have the 8.8 but let me kno if i could have any problems with that. any other suggestions for the motor or car always appreciated its about to get new balljoints an rear shocks...

yah i was thinking it would be easier to just rebuild the motor i have now in the long run i just don't really like the 94 4.6 seems like theres more parts for later years but owell. just thinking the sc engine would be a pretty cool idea but i don't have the time or money to go that far with it haha but another thing i forgot in the origional post the trak loc rear out of that sc should swap rite out with my old pumpkin pretty sure it will i have the 8.8 but let me kno if i could have any problems with that. any other suggestions for the motor or car always appreciated its about to get new balljoints an rear shocks...

Grab a later model mod motor and use that for your core, then.

The 94 4.6 is pretty much a junk version, true.

For more info, there's a REALLY active group over at TCCoA ( http://www.tccoa.com , forums at http://forums.tccoa.com ) on the 4.6

The 5.4 - From all that have tried it (save one!), it's a dog in these bodies, skip it.

RwP

Any thoughts on question About the rear anyone?

If you DO swap, if the new tranny is an auto, you'll want a stiffer rear ratio (1st is not as stiff as the 5 speed 1st). Otherwise, no - the V8s almost all got 8.8" rear pumpkins anyway, as did the SC according to my manual (yah, yah, Joe Blow will now pipe up they've got a SC with a 7.5 ... )

RwP

Come on, we all know the SC's got 7.5 rear end :D

No, kidding.. All V8 and Super Coupe's had the 8.8 rear end. What gears they had varied though.

If I were you - I'd just get a PI engine, build that and put a Vortech on it :D For what you'd spend on an SC swap, plus building it to go fast - you'd be farther ahead to build a V8.

Drop an explorer PI in it. 2000-2002 and you will be 200lbs ligther on the front end and it should be plug and play for the most part. We did it to my buddies 94 LX. It woke that car up, but this is more of a TCCOA discussion than SCCOA. IMO.

So the rear will fit but it won't be as fast off the line? Am I getting that right? Also what else would I need to get out of that explorer if I were to find one in a junkyard or something??

buy yourself a cheap 76mm turbo $650 with a small AR say .68, find yourself a nice cheapo intercooler from say ebay $130 a cheap bov $60 a nice wastegate $250 various 2.5" piping to fab up your hotside, flip the stock headers and plumb it all up

if your not handy with a welder make a friend that is

once you blow up the stock engine then you'll have a reason to yank it :)

figure 5#s on the stock tune w/ windshield washer fluid injection and 93 octane you'll be happy enough

buy yourself a cheap 76mm turbo $650 with a small AR say .68, find yourself a nice cheapo intercooler from say ebay $130 a cheap bov $60 a nice wastegate $250 various 2.5" piping to fab up your hotside, flip the stock headers and plumb it all up

if your not handy with a welder make a friend that is

once you blow up the stock engine then you'll have a reason to yank it :)

figure 5#s on the stock tune w/ windshield washer fluid injection and 93 octane you'll be happy enough
To much time and money just to blow up my motor I still need the car to get to work...

well first of all the the parts to sc will bolt right on to and 89-95 t bird or cougar.. why do i know this i did it.. and they will say why not just get a supercoupe? well before i decided to do the transformation i had my cougar all moded out just painted redone interior bigo system so i didnt want another car but i wanted the performance the sc had so yes i ripped out suspension, drive train, harnesess ,engine and computer and dash from the sc and put it all into mine.. i rebuilt the engine before puting it in... took a lot of work .. but if u like your car and plan to keep it and want the sc then go for it .. and replace everything thats worn before u install. might as well its already off ... good luck with the transplant.. it will be fun ..

if u look under my profile attachments and look at the attachments that say fake sc.. youll see the normal cougar with all the sc parts interrior and so on..

Back