1989 Cougar XR7 - Rebuilt & Tatefully Modified

Thomas A

Cougar10.JPG

The time has come to sell my Cougar. I have owned it for 4.5 years and have put a lot of time and money into the car. Now that I am living in a different state with limited garage space and in graduate school, I no longer have the space or time that this car deserves. I have put an average of 1,200 miles a year on the car including a 1,300 mile trip to Indiana and back. I have gone through and repaired, replaced, or upgraded nearly every aspect of the car since buying it in 2006. I have a stack of receipts totaling nearly $8,000 not including the rebuilt transmission or upgraded drive shaft.

Full Rebuild Process Found Here: Cougar Info
Full Maintenance List Found Here: Cougar Info

Factory Options:
Automatic Transmission
Leather Seats w/Folding Rear
Premium Audio (non-sub option)
Auto Headlamps w/Auto Dim
Sunroof - Slide/Vent
Keyless Entry
Dual Power Seats

Upgrades & Modifications:
ZR MotorSports Intake
Pro-M 75mm MAF
BBK 70mm TB
Ported Inlet Plenum
Magnuson S-Port Blower

BTM 5% Aluminum OD Pulley
SCP 0% Aluminum JS Pulley
March Aluminum UD Pulleys
BHJ Balancer
36# Injectors
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
ARP Head Studs
Ken Wagner DBL IC & Fan
Tuned by David Dalke SCU

Flowmaster Exhaust System
Flowmaster Resonator
Magnaflow Cats & Down Tubes

Mark VIII Front Brakes
Mark VIII Rear Housing
Poly Rear Housing Bushings
Auburn HP Differential
Ford 3.73:1 Gears

Lentech Valve Body
Dirty Dog 9.5" 3000 Stall Converter
Poly Trans Mount Bushings
B&M Trans Cooler

ADDCO 1.25" Front Stabilizer Bar
ADDCO 1.25” Rear Stabilizer Bar
Eibach 1.50 Lowering Springs
Poly Spring Isolators

20% Window Tint
Eclipse CD Player
Boston Acoustic Speakers

If you have taken the time to review the work log linked above you will understand the amount of time, effort, and money that has been invested in this unique car. The engine, transmission, driveline, suspension, and interior have all been gone through during the past 5,200 miles. The car drives and performs very well and has been proven reliable on multiple long trips. The car currently has 119,444 miles on it. I have a clean Nebraska title ready to be transferred.

The last area that would potentially need to be addressed is the paint and body. While the car looks quite good, there are some issues and flaws to be corrected. The car is very solid overall and clean on the underside. The right side rear quarter panel was replaced at some point prior to my ownership and has a couple small rust areas on it. They are not major issues and could easily be corrected with proper body work. I would be happy to further describe the car and what I feel it still needs. If there is something you want to see that was not covered or pictured in the work log, please let me know. I have over 800 photos of the car covering nearly every aspect of it.

$5,995 <---> Lincoln, Nebraska

If someone really wanted a 5-Speed car, I would entertain offers on the car without the transmission & drive shaft. Otherwise it is being sold as is. I will not remove parts and sell them individually.

Cougar_KU1%28small%29.JPG

Coug_Interior2009_5.JPG

Cougar_Alt3.JPG

Rear_Panel5.JPG

Um....how about a Camry for trade. No cash on your part just straight up car for car.

That is a tempting offer... no cash on my part, huh? hrmmm.... if you still had the Sable, we might have been able to work something out.. :cool:

Thomas

Yup, lightly hit in the front end and the ABS was shot (found out after I got it home that the head gaskets had just let go as well)

XR7_Front_End_Start.JPG

I like it.

Let me ask,
Did you find the sway bar upgrade worthwhile? Given the cost and complexity of installation?

Mike

Did you find the sway bar upgrade worthwhile? Given the cost and complexity of installation?

They made quite a big difference and really changed the handling of the car. If you really want a good handling car, than I would consider them a key part of that.

Partial trade for a cobra?
I'd love to have that Cobra, but it wouldn't help me in eliminating the number of vehicles I have and generating cash flow, so I will have to pass. Why are you selling it so soon after buying?

Thomas

Ive always wanted a Cobra, and a fast one at that. Now im too old to drive the car like its supposed to be driven, and too young to have a car that expensive sitting in the garage. Its not really a great cruising car, the clutch is all business, car only seems happy in boost, and if you want to run through the RPMs better be prepared to be speeding. If i keep it chances are ill pull the blower, downgrade to 9.5 rear tires, or maybe just 10.5 street tires, and tame it down a little bit. Is a guy never happy with anything?:rolleyes:

Still here... might just get it out and drive it next month is the snow stays away long enough... :D

Thomas

My black '89 XR7 from salvage yard

I have a black 1989 Cougar XR7 5spd. I got out of a salvage yard w/ rust issues and missing alternator, compressor, starter, radiator, exhaust, gas tank removed and in trunk but with less than 80k miles and running when parked. I will need help and advice on getting it running. The motor turns over fine. I can't find any cut wires at this point but I did not look at everything very well yet. Why did you put on MarkVIII front brakes? Larger rotors and bigger calipers? There are several MarkVIII here in a salvage yard and I watched an almost completely rust free one red get crushed! Does a MarkVIII driveshaft fit the '89 cougar? and this shaft is aluminum? I will need much advice and also a source for rust free body parts. I need rockers and see that they are reproduced but I guess I will have to cut any floor patch from a rust free southern car (this one is a NY car). I see that there is a guy in the Ohio area that parts out these SC cars and I will need many parts from him - even the sheetmetal pan under the gas tank is shot.
I just can't bare to see a black 1989 XR7 supercharged 5spd Cougar XR7 get wasted in a salvage yard.

Back