AC change over to 134a

BackinBlack89

What do I need to do to change over to 134a from r12? I new to here and just purchased a 5 speed Thunderbird Sc Black that needs ac charged. Thanks

Evacuate the system if you still have any R12 in it. You really dont need to do anything except replace the High / low pressure fittings with the R134 ones, and put the conversion sticker on.

- Dan

Did the same thing on 4 of my SCs....

All of them are working just fine during this awful heat wave we are having....:rolleyes:

i would suggest replacing the accumulator, they are 50 bucks max.. good to do it before the change, but not 100 percent required.

My suggestions?

1) Replace accumulator.

2) Replace orifice tube.

3) While system is apart, flush the condenser, the evaporator, and the lines you're keeping (the orifice is inside the liquid line, and the line with tube costs about the same, or less, than the repair kit, so I'd opt for a new line)

4) While it's apart, replace all O-Rings with new ones, Nyloc them or (like I did!) use the PAG 46 oil to lube them.

5) Replace the cycle switch (optional, but they sell R134a calibrated ones, helps the system run closer to capacity than the R12 calibrated switches do).

6) While it's apart, flush the condenser FINS (i.e., water hose through the radiator forwards. Or even better, pull the radiator, and flush all that out with running water - both radiator and condenser - that is, the FINS, not the inside of the tubing!)

This should help your system work even better.

BTW - Why does it need recharging? I'd find out why first - before I spent the money to charge it and find out that the, say, evaporator is leaking like a sieve ...

RwP

6) While it's apart, flush the condenser FINS (i.e., water hose through the radiator forwards. Or even better,
Better yet, replace it. Especially if you live in a hot state. It will boost cooling significantly.

My 90 DD is pumping out good cold air on r134a, but it took some additional things to get it. I replaced the OEM condenser with the newer 6mm serpentine condenser (not quite parallel, but close). I adjusted the pressure switch for 20psi, and installed an orange Otube with an inline kit. You have to be anal about fixing leaks; otherwise your efforts will be wasted. Don't use a leakstop unless you plan to replaced every part of your system in a year or 2. It will foul the Otube and gunk up everything else, especially your new condenser. :rolleyes:

Did the same thing on 4 of my SCs....

All of them are working just fine during this awful heat wave we are having....:rolleyes:
My luck has been +/- lately... turns out all of my compressor shaft seals needed replacement. When you have 20 year old compressors that still work, they still usually need some maintenance.

After fixing the seal, my white car gets 42 degrees out the vent on a 105 degree day.. :)

WOW, you can use your SC as a portable meat locker....:p

My 92 has a small leak somewhere....

A few cans added just before summer will last well into the fall....

Back